Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I click the "ok" button on the msconfig window, I am getting the following message.

"An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service access. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes."

Also, I am looking for suggestions (programs to run etc.) to help optimize the performance of my system.

Thanks.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Are you logged on with Administrator rights? If you're just a 'user' it won't let you access any system components, like the one you're trying to use.

One quick thing you can do to speed up the computer is to turn off the indexing that's on by default in XP. Open 'my computer' and right click on your partitions. Scroll down and select 'properties'. At the bottom, there will be an option to let windows index the drive for fast file searching. un-check this, apply to folders and subfolders, ignore all. Now go get a sandwich. When it's done, you should have a slightly faster computer. Don't forget to run cleanup to get rid of temp files and also to run your defrag app.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Do you get this error if you reboot and try the same actions?

What about in Safe Mode?

CCleaner is a good utility to speed up by getting rid of trash on your system.
Defrag your prefetch folder aswell by:
  • Start>Run>type: defrag c: -b and enter.
-Turn off most visual performance options under Advanced in System will increase your system speed.
-Rid all unnecessary startups that you can start manually apart of AV etc.
-Uninstall any software that you don't require.
-Leave no conflicting drivers/programs on.
-Have ideal amount of RAM and increase Virtual Memory allocation.

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Have you tried creating a new profile with admin access...or perhaps from the default admin account whilst in safe mode?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just noticed that my screen saver isn't working. I have it set for 10 minutes. When I come back several hours later the screen saver still hasn't kicked on. I can get the screen saver to come on when I click the "Preview" button, but it won't come on after the specified wait time.

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Profile could be screwed...may be an idea to create a new one and then testing all the things that don't work on your current profile.

Also, do you have your XP install disc?

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
If you have an XP CD as nickster_uk asked, then you can

Start>Run>type: sfc /scannow and hit enter.

It will attempt to repair any system files that are corrupted, which certainly can spark wild behavior.

I would also agree here with nickster_uk, to creating a new profile and checkup if all functions correctly under that. If not, then obviously you have a corrupted OS.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ran the "sfc /scannow" and it didn't seem to find anything. At least it didn't prompt me to fix anything or that it was fixing anything. Besides, none of the issues were fixed: "Access Denied on the msconfig" and the screen saver still does not come on when it times out.

Next I created a new account (with admin privileges) and I am getting the same results in that profile as well.

Note that I had a problem with my XP License Key about 2 weeks ago and I had to reset it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/sec...133873-computer-acting-up-bad.html#post752554

Apparently something has gotten corrupted in my OS. What do I need to do to fix it? I do have the XP disk that Dell sent with my computer.

Thanks.

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Is the XP disc you have a certified installation disc or is it a restore disc whcih you can use to restore factory settings?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Will rebooting from this CD hurt anything I currently have setup? I'm very comfortable with computers, but have always been a little vague in that area.

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Hmmm sounds more like a restore disc as it has a Dell logo on which is a shame as you will not be able to perform a repair installation which could possibly fix the problem if you do have corrupted system files.

The next suggestion would be to post a Hijack This log file so one of our analysts can check for any possible infections which can also cause the issues you are experiencing.

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Booting from the disc will not cause any problems and you will be able to find out what kind of disc it is....just do not choose to install/restore etc when you get to the menus. A restore disc will format the partition and copy across the Operating System files from it's factory release so you will lose everything you have stored on there since...emails, documents, programs, settings etc.

A repair installation isn't as destructive, it just resets the OS system files though you will need to reinstall all your Windows Updates afterwards.

However...if you're just checking what type of disc, boot to the menu and then remove the disc and ctrl-alt-del and you should restart normally.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.