Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have Dell 4500S w/P4 -1.7Mhz, 128 Ram, Windows XP Home Edition

I currently am subcribed to two dial-up ISP's for comparative purposes. However, when I complete a connection to either of them initially I then get a message box from Microsoft which reads as follows;

"Slipaccel.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience"

Interestingly, when I make a second or successive connection during the same boot session I am able to successfully connect to one of the ISP's (NetZero). Unfortunately, not only is the initial connection shut down with the other ISP, but repeat attempts are also shut down ( AllVantage).

There is a request in that Microsoft dialogue box to send in the error report, but since I have no Internet connection at that point I don't know how the message can be sent.

I would appreciate some advice on how to remedy this predicament.

Thanks !!

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Try removing the AllVantage account. It might be conflicting with NetZero which uses the Slipstream Internet Accelerator (possibly in program files\quicknet accelerator).

Is there an accelerator icon in the system tray near the clock that can be disabled?

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
In most cases a dial up accelerator for one service will not work with another. You can keep both ISP's if you turn off the accelerator.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
koala said:
Try removing the AllVantage account. It might be conflicting with NetZero which uses the Slipstream Internet Accelerator (possibly in program files\quicknet accelerator).

Is there an accelerator icon in the system tray near the clock that can be disabled?
Thanks for your suggestion. The alternate accelerator icons did not appear in the tray when the other service was activated. Interestingly enough, I switched my browser from IE to Mozilla's FireFox and while I still get the close down message the loading and connection continues for both ISP's now !!!!

I do plan to delete one of the two ISP's as soon as possible after comparing transfer speeds, among other things.

I truly appreciate your help.....gracious, amigo !!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Terrister said:
In most cases a dial up accelerator for one service will not work with another. You can keep both ISP's if you turn off the accelerator.
Thanks for your suggestion. Since the accelerator service icons have not appeared in my tray when the alternative service was activated, I haven't had to delete them. After switching my browser to FireFox I was able, for some reason, to get a connection with both services despite the continued appearance of the same close down message. I will be disconnecting one of the services as soon as I can compare performances for a while, and I suspect that may eliminate the problem.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem solved !!

While I did remove one of the ISP services to hopefully eliminate any conflicts, I also discovered I had a virus/worm infection(s). Since my installed Norton anit-virus program (trial version) only detected it, but could not repair, quarantine, or delete the viruses, I had someone come in to clear up the problem.

The original problem also has been eliminated, but I'm not certain which of the above cleared the issue. Thank you for you support.

H.Hannam

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Glad you got it sorted. Let us know if you need any advice on antivirus software. As you're only using the trial version of Norton, now might be a good time to switch to a better program.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.