Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the strangest tech support problem that I have come across yet. I'm hoping that one of you may have some suggestions.

I have been setting up MS Outlook for my boss. I set up Microsoft Outlook before she left for vacation to use the auto reply feature. When she got back, she went back to using MS Outlook Express.
I could not get Outlook to come up with "accounts", so I did a repair on Outlook but it still wouldn't come up with accounts. I reinstalled Outlook and came up with three email settings. None of the three accounts would send or receive consistently. I performed a scandisk and it was succesfully completed. I brought the system into safe mode to do a defrag because of all the network traffic. I lost the majority of the EXCEL files and the word docs. There are gaps in the files over the last 3 months. The files created for a period of time are there, then there are gaps where there are no files created for a period of time.

Recently, there were viruses found on several of the administrative office computers which are networked. I used Command Software to delete the virus. There were none indentified on my bosses' computer however. I am going to check the virus' that were found to see if any of them have anything to do with this problem. But the ones that I have checked recently were related to emails. None of them were reported to impact .doc files or EXCEL files.

I did a file search, brought up the files that were either EXCEL or .docs. I used a program called File Recovery, and it says there are no files deleted.

I can't figure out what happened. I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts you might have on this situation.

Thanks,
Rick Meininger

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Ok...sound like alot of problems...so lets Itemize our prioties...

Can the system connect to the internet ?? If so go to www.antivirus.com -free tools and do a free online scan...never used Command AV so I dont know how good it is but if you can grab a copy of Nortons 2002/3 it seems to be the be AV out there for stand alone machine....Tend micro makes a NICE network anti virus solution...get a solution in place...the money spent will equal out in not having to be in the current situation....

Clean the system ....also down load ad aware and/or pest patrol ...while we are cleaning the system lets get rid of spyware and other nasties...dump the temp file, temp internet files...go into my computer view- folder options and check show all files also un check hide extension for know file types...

now when the system is clean...remove Outlook and office....

ran a scandisk and defrag

RE-install the OS...you should be able to install right over the current one...

after completion RE run scandisk and defrag...( didnt belive this step myself but it work for me a few times)

Now install Office....this should give you a clean system...then go from there....

If you can post back...

the name of the virus on the network...

what happens when you go into control panel and select mail

is this an exchange network or pop3

and any other issues I didnt adress

G/L:bandit:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
outlook problem

I couldn't figure out why the .doc and .xls files disappeared. It was time to move on so I took the drive over to Drive Savers in Navato Ca to try to retrive the information that vanished.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
good luck....hopefully they can tell you whay the info vanished....

But that normaly doesnt happen...bad hardware is usally to blame...keep that in mind when you go back to using the system...if the equitment is that important to take it to a data recovery service then it is that improtant to back up at night...

(I-Omega resellr hat on)

from the simple
http://www.iomega.com/na/products/product_family.jsp?FOLDER<>folder_id=63233&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=63191&bmUID=1032876884212

to the complex

http://www.iomega.com/na/products/product_family.jsp?FOLDER<>folder_id=63219&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=63191&bmUID=1032876878879

(hat off)

there are other options but these are the easiest

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I have already got things in place when the hdd returns. Backups will take place every night.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.