Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im looking at buying a new processor for my PC ive found a little info about my Intel desktop board. my processor uses MPGA478 socket, ive found It uses a 533 MHz FSB so right now im looking for a processor with this Front Side Bus speed and the maximum Clock Speed for this is 1.30 to 2.80 GHz, ofcourse I want to get a 2.8 but when I search on eBay for it i find 478 pin PPGA's this will not work for my board right? I think im a little confused,

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I'm wondering if you are talking about a µpga or micro pga478, which is the socket 478 or 478 pin processor. The maximum speed for a socket 478 processor with a 533MHz FSB is 3.06GHz.

As oldmn has stated, it probably would be best if you listed you motherboard name and model number.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok ive found very little info about my board for some reason even when I used programs like Aida32 they give me little info about my mobo

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 03/24/2003-i845G-LPC47M1-6A69VM3EC-00
Motherboard Name Unknown

Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 400 MHz
Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
k thank you very much, I have one fore question, does it support hyper threading and extreme graphics processors?

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
If it only can support a 400MHz FSB then no, It will not support hyper threading or extreme edition processors. Those processors are only avalible in 533MHz or 800MHz FSB. Extreme graphics is part of your MB video. The Intel 845G chipset has Intel extreme graphics integrated into it.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
boulder omen said:
would i feel a difference in a 2.2 to 2.8 jump? would it even be worth it buying a new processor?
You do not notice the differance till you go back to the slower machine.
IMO in your situation I would concider holding off and down the road buld a conplete new system. It can be fun and educational. :sayyes:
But thats just an opinnion. :grin:

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
oldmn said:
You do not notice the differance till you go back to the slower machine.
IMO in your situation I would concider holding off and down the road buld a conplete new system. It can be fun and educational. :sayyes:
But thats just an opinnion. :grin:
Very true.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Just to bump on the advice already given you, I just think that you would be very wise to hold your bucks for just a bit and build a new one as oldmn and Crazijoe suggested. The bucks you spend on this unit now would not give you enough bang for the buck to justify the jump you are trying to make. What I am saying, is that you will spend the money and then be disappointed that you still have technology that is fast becoming dated as new things are coming out. For slightly more bucks, you can make a move to better technology in my personal opinion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I completely agree and have decided to hold off, unless I can find a REALLY good deal on it, btw if the 478's are getting scarce wouldnt that mean they're also getting cheaper? I might just consider building a whole new system like previously stated.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
boulder omen said:
if the 478's are getting scarce wouldnt that mean they're also getting cheaper? I might just consider building a whole new system like previously stated.
If the processor gets scarce, Does not mean it will get cheaper infact it can go the otherway with supply and demand. For example PC133 memory is expencive because they do not make it or as much of it and there are a lot of systems out there that still use it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.