Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Not even sure if I'm in the right forum for this, but anyway....

I wonder if anyone can tell me why WMV files don't play as well as MPEGs either through Windows Media Player or Roxio. They get 'the jitters' whereas MPEGs play smoothly.

Could it be my video/graphics card, my RAM, or is it just that WMVs are not as good as MPEGs...?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
ole'
3,658 Posts
mpeg is a seperate codec made by a private company and is uses for dvds, etc. wmv is made by windows and is never as good. it is normally used because it takes up alot less space

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any way to improve them?

Thanks for your reply, Forcifer...

Would it help to convert wmvs to mpegs..?
And if so, are there any converters you would recommend?

Cheers.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Before you convert anything, see if it is just the specific WMVs you have that are the problem. Put them on a CD, DVD, or flash drive and try them on another computer to check if it is a codec problem.

I know WinAVI is a good converter, but it is not free. If you google, you might be able to find a free one.
http://www.winavi.com/wmv-converter.htm

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A load of codecs

Hi TheMatt,
Thanks for your suggestion. I will certainly try it.
I also noticed recently that many DVDs are choppy when played, but are fine on my TV DVD player.
I went mad with a load of codecs a while back and I'm wondering if this may be part of the problem - e.g. DivX and WMP 9 codec pack.

I wonder if there's a way of clearing all my codecs and starting again...?

I've Windows 2000, WMP9, and use a Lacie external drive with Roxio DVD Max Player 2.0 (tried updating that but without success).

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Just a thought, are your video drivers installed? Generally DVDs are choppy when the correct graphics driver isn't installed, and Windows is using a native driver. Check that in device manager, it says under Display Adapters the name of your graphics card rather than Generic Display Adapter or Generic Display Adapter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes Matt, my video drivers seem to be installed ok. I've NVidia Riva 128 as the only graphics card. Details show I have two files concerning it:
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\nv3.sys
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\nv3.dll

I updated the driver with Windows Update and that's what I have now.
Still same problem though...

I appreciate your help. Anything more I can do, please?
Have I really messed up my codecs...?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tried and Tested

Hi All,
Tried and tested all video files - I have only problems with DVD or VOB files.

VLan goes on acid. GSpot says 214 codecs installed...!! DivX possibly conflicted. WMP9 doesn't want to upgrade. Registry maybe confused.

MPEGs, AVIs, WMVs = all ok. VOBs = NO (choppy, out of sync, etc)

Time for a new DVD player....!!..??
Or clear out the conflicting codecs....?

I just want to watch a DVD ... !
:4-dontkno

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
So DVDs are also choppy? You may want to try another DVD drive in your computer, or try the other one if you have two. DVDs are in the MPEG-2 format, so if regular MPEGs work, then those should.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, DVDs are unwatchable.

I'll certainly try another external DVD drive. Or get another PC altogether, when I can afford it. Or reinstall the operating system. Just strange that all other files are okay....? Regular MPEGs are very good quality.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.