Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy cow! Something weirrrrddd is going on that has me stumped!

When I attempt to play an MP3 on my PC that is 128 kbps and 144 khz (you know...the GOOD quality ones!), it is all distorted. And actually....it doesn't need to be that, either...it could be 128 and 44...or 64 and 44, etc.... BUT..when I play anything else (wavs, etc) everything sounds fine. It doesn't matter if I am using Winamp or the default windows player. I have tried to convert these MP3's to wavs and then play them, but it is still distorted. The wavs that I am able to hear ok are like 88 and 11, 16 and 11, etc. I am STUMPED! I ran some files in .au and they were ok. The funny thing is, I used to be able to play everything just fine. :((

HELP!!! PLEASE!!! :) Thanks!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
just a quick question, but what else are you running while the MP3 is playing? And what do you mean by distorted?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
?

The only things that I have open are like Outlook...then of course Norton is running in the background. But other than that...nothing. I have been having this problem for a number of months now and just really disregarded it, but now....if I cannot hear it clearly before I burn a CD, I either get incomplete files..or the wrong tune, etc.

It sounds jittery and a little slowed up. Just not clear at all.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EEK!

I have no idea! I will have to tear my PC apart to look.

It always was ok before so I have no idea what it would do this out of the blue:((

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Don't tear your PC apart.. instead right click on the my computer icon, and go to system properties... you'll get a drop down list of everything on your computer, and it should be there under multimedia devices. Also once you find it, toward the bottom of the info you will get when you double click on the sound card will be a box telling you if you have any conflicts.... if so please tell me :) By the way I'm still working on the problem.....never fear :D

·
Registered
852 Posts
I had that problem with an old sound blaster ISA sound card. When I would scroll a web page with my mouse wheel, It would garble the MP3.

I changed computers before I figured it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.