Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
hey
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried setting up a linux based mp3 server for the lan? I was thinking of mabye using Shoutcast. Anyone tried this? Anyone know how to get it to work with a home theater system?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've used both shoutcast and icecast. Shoutcast is cool, but requires a GUI player to stream to it (or did when I used it). Now I use Icecast which can use either a gui or command line player and in fact I can launch it and it'll run as a daemon .. and it reads a text file and plays the songs from that text file.. pretty l33t.. If you need help give me a holla.

Drew

·
hey
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may just do that. What kinda config do you recomend for it? What do you use on the windows side to play it?

·
Registered
711 Posts
well in windows if you want to stream it to a remote server like a linux box on your LAN you can use Winamp ... just like shoutcast.. icecast has built-in icecast support.. in fact you can listen to my streaming server right now .. this post inspired me to turn it back on after being off for ages ;) point your MP3 player to techiekb.com:6060

icecast/ices easier on bandwidth
winamp/shoutcast outbound bandwidth to listeners and internal LAN bandwidth :(

·
Registered
711 Posts
heh didn't know anyone was listening.. I think Richard Pryor is playing right now.. LOL.. I just have a playlist setup and it randomly plays stuff

·
Registered
711 Posts
heh yea I need to prune that crap out... my buddy is a project developer on something called icerequest.. http://sourceforge.net/projects/icerequest

I don't think he's commited any code .. but the he's re-written alot of it and is using it on his station .. basically it takes and puts all your music in a mysql database/postgre too and then allows a listening to query more about the song, see all available songs, request whats played next..

·
hey
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. IceCast says you have to log into their CVS to get it. I've never done that. So I'm sitting in Cervisia trying to figure out how the heck to use it to log into IceCast's CVS. I go to repository and I go to add and I add the line from IceCast :pserver:[email protected]:/usr/local/cvsroot but then what? how do I log in. Do I need to setup a sandbox on my end first some how? The help isn't being helpful and IceCast isn't telling me nuttin. So I'm kinda at a stand still right now with it. I'm running Mandrake 9.0. I wanted RedHat, but for some reason the second ISO I keep downloading isn't working out for me.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'll download what you need and build ya some RPM's :) .. I have to write up some documentation for a class I'm teaching later today, so it'll be tonight.. I hope thats ok :)

·
hey
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you can that would be great. I found a RPM for version 1.3.12 I think it was, but not version 2. I installed it anyway along with shout, but I'm lost after that. Got to read some instructions I guess.

·
hey
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awsome. Thank you. I'm going to have to switch to my linux box and try it out. Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.