Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
This MP3/vid player appears to install correctly in this XP home pc but the "disc" shows as full in Properties. The device shows up as a usb mass storage device in Device Mang' and Win tells me it is working ok and the right drivers are installed.
A Google search led me to try to assign a new drive letter but in fact the device does not exist for Disc Mangement, thus Catch 22!

The player works fine on a W7/64 laptop as it does on another XP computer! Clearly there is something wrong with this one but of course, S**s Law dictates that THIS is the most convienient PC to load the device up with!

Any ideas please chaps?
Dave.

·
Global Moderator
Knowing how to use Google to solve problems
42,862 Posts
What is the Make and Model # of the troubled XP computer?
With the device plugged into the XP machine, Go to the Device Manager. Are there any devices with yellow flags? If the device shows up as a USB Mass Storage Device, right click it and Uninstall it. Unplug the USB cable from the Computer End and restart the computer. When the computer fully loads plug the device into the Back USB port of the computer not the front and not through a Hub as these ports are weaker. It should start a new hardware wizard. Do you get the Safely Remove Icon in the system tray by the clock? If so, if you right click it and choose to Safely Remove a Device, it should show you a drive letter. Then go to Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Disk Management window do you see your device there? If not go up to the Tool bar to Action and Rescan Disks. If this still does not show your device, then download the Chipset driver for this computer from the manufacturers support/download drivers site.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the rapid response!
The PC is an ESI, aka Dixons XP mobo RC417MA-RS2H (marked Foxconn)
P4 531, SP3 (3.00G) ram 2G

I shall work thru' the points you mention, some of which I have already done.

Dave.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have sent an email to Foxconn asking if they can tell me what that Dixon MOBO is in their numbers and outlining my problem.

But in the meantime I have run a diskcheck on the system drive and an hour later I get the report "The computer has recovered from a serious error" and rather blames it on hardware! I plugged the player back in and LO! It finds songs and stuff on a "G" drive ( there is still a stuffed H drive????) .

I MP3'ed a bit of music and clicked "send to". Job's a good 'un!

Thank you all. I shall be interested to see what, if anything, I get back from Foxconn. I seem to remember some years ago trying to get some info from them and the term Chocolate Teapot comes to mind.

Dave.

·
Global Moderator
Knowing how to use Google to solve problems
42,862 Posts
there is still a stuffed H drive
Your chipset driver is not the problem. What is the H: drive? Go to Start/Run and type CMD and press enter. In the Command Prompt type the drive letter of the Stuffed drive. (ex) H: and press enter (ex) H:\> type chkdsk /R and press enter. Now type a Y for Yes to Unmount the drive. Check Disk will test the integrity of the drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.