Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to build a new computer...im going to buy a tower, motherboard and processor. then i want to transfer all the drives in the computer im using now into the new one. my friend said i would have to format my hard drive if i do that. i jsut wanted to know if thats true.

·
Watching from the shadows
1,143 Posts
You should format your hard drive when you do that becuase your new motherboard contains completely different drivers and your hard drive may work (probably not right) just by pluggin in and turning on. You will have more troubles then it is worth. Back up anything you need and reformat. Less of a headache.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
but.........you dont have to....

Just make sure before you down the system you have your O/S disk close by and download any additional drivers you may need...it is a little time consuming but not even close to impossible

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
as compared to an upgrade version....????

NO any current version of XP should do....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so whats the process...after i have the comp put together and turn it on..whats the first that will ahppen or whatever...what do i have to do

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
well it is according to which road you are going down.....if you format....your going to have to reinstall...

If you attempt to move the drive....first thing is to go into the bios and see if the drive is detected....then reboot and have your O/S cd ready because it is going to ask for a whole lot of driver....might be helpful before you shut down the old one .....remove as much as possible from device manager(Video card, sound card ect...) from the drive so when you reboot you dont get conflicts

·
Registered
852 Posts
With all due respect, there is a big chance this will not work and a small chance it will. Unless XP is a "Microsoft super OS" you are asking for trouble. Back up all your critical files, format and load the OS fresh, then restore what you need.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Have done it in the past....took some time but if you cant back up its an option....

The group is right...if you have nothing to lose..it is not worth the headaches

Jamman ....no problem...respect right back at you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no..i dont mind formatting...

if i format then install into new comp...i woudlnt have anyprobs would i?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.