Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Yes it will, as the Windows Registry will still think they're on C: drive. You'll need to uninstall them and reinstall them on the external drive. There's no problem with having them on an external drive, but you can't just move the folders.

·
Premium Member
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought there was a reason that couldn't be done, that's why I asked.

So if I uninstall then reinstall to the external hdd they will play just as well?

·
TSF Enthusiast
5,538 Posts
I thought there was a reason that couldn't be done, that's why I asked.

So if I uninstall then reinstall to the external hdd they will play just as well?

well they might the interface for that external drive wont be as fast as an internal drive.alot of games will run fine that way.id say oblivion would probably lag a bit if it were on an external drive.so just try it some might have a performance loss,and others wont.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Yes it will, as the Windows Registry will still think they're on C: drive. You'll need to uninstall them and reinstall them on the external drive. There's no problem with having them on an external drive, but you can't just move the folders.
Not nessasarily, I had GTA SA on my C: drive, then I used Vista on a different patition, changing the partition with GTA on it to D:, and the game works on Vista.

Some games will work, most will not. You would need to change the shortcuts though.

If you have it on a external hard drive, they will not run as well.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Joefireline said:
Not nessasarily, I had GTA SA on my C: drive, then I used Vista on a different patition, changing the partition with GTA on it to D:, and the game works on Vista.

Some games will work, most will not. You would need to change the shortcuts though.
Joe, what you've said here is slightly misleading. The fact is, the registry will retain the game data, with the game directory listed as the original drive. Some games will work without being properly installed, and thus will work after being moved. But since this isn't true for all games, and can sometimes lead to problems, I would not advise moving any games.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.