Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello and I hope someone can help me with this probably dumb (and confusing) issue, I have a E Machines T2082 Desktop that is acting funny, it loops into Windows did not shut down screen, it does it like 2 or three times and then it logs in.
Sometimes between loops I see a blue screen in the back but too fast to read what it says.
When I finally log in I cannot see my network connection, funny thing is that yesterday it was fine as far as connecting to the internet.
This computer connects to the router through ethernet cable, rouetr connects to cable Modem. My laptop, wireless, connects to internet without a problem but my desktop is no longer in the network.
I run Registry Mechanic yesterday on the desktop and it "fixed" all errors found, I also run SpyBot, AVG and Malwarebytes, before I turned it off.
I tried restoring the PC to yesterday but it wont restore, I even tried to restore it to a month ago and nothing, no network connections, it says its missing the drivers (??).
I do not have the restore CD for the desktop which is a Windows XP Home Edition SP3 (with the recent upgrade to SP3) but I have a Windows XP Home Edition SP2 CD from my Compaq laptop.
Can I reinstall in my desktop (E Machines)the OS with the laptop's (Compaq) OS CD? I have the Key for both...
I also have a E Machines OS Disc from another desktop PC (EMachines T5216), but it is a Windoxs XP Media Center Version 2005 with Update Rollup 2... ?? :)

Please can someone give me advice as to which one use or what to do???
I am, as u can tell, not an expert in this :)
I dont mind reinstalling the OS, there is nothing in the PC that I need, I just need to know if I can use the CD's I have or maybe a way to reinstall all the missing drivers... :-( HELP!!!!

PS) I don't know if this matters but maybe it's worth mentioning: The OS CD that I have for the other EMachines PC (T5216) is from a PC I still have but was having issues so I connected the HDD into the one I am trying to fix now to see if it was the HDD that was not working right; I did get the HDD to open, first as a slave drive and later as master drive... I guess some of the drivers got all messed up there, but I did get the original HDD back into it (T2082) and as I mentioned it was connecting and working ok (besides the looping issue)...

I hope it is not that confusing... pleeeeaseeee someone help!!!!

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Re: Restore CD Missing - Have other PC's CD. Pls Help! Windows login loop!!

Well, as long as you use the correct product key for the appropriate computer, you can use the other XP install disc on the corrupted computer.

If you have nothing you want to salvage on the computer, you could use a program such as DBAN to completely erase everything off the hard drive. Then you could simply boot from the XP disc and reinstall Windows. A link for DBAN is available in my signature to learn more about it.

-Coolfreak

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thank you!
If I do that then plug n play drivers will be installed and I guess I would have to look for the individual drivers as far as my video card, cd/dvd???.. what issues will I encounter after I reinstall the OS from the other PC??

I have enjoyed the playing with the computers :) and I was able to safe all my 9 GB of data off the other emachines HDD (THAT WAS THE IMPORTANT ONE!!) but now Im encountering this one with issues.

Do u think it was Registry Mechanic that could have done something??
It had 400 and something errors!!
I did everything even a defrag hoping to get it all clean and fast and now :-((

I went into Device Manager and in Network adapters I see a duplicate of the Realtek Fast ethernet and many duplicates of a wireless adapter that I am not using now cause is connected directly... could it be this?? I tried to unistall the duplicates but says it cant cause system might need for boot....

:))

·
Registered
5,245 Posts

Normally, you would be able to go to Emachines website and download all the drivers you need. Although.. they don't seem to list the drivers for your specific model. I'll see if I can find them for you.

Here at TSF, we don't advise our users to ever run Registry Cleaners. They seem to do more harm than good most of the time. More information can be found here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.