Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi everyone.i hope this is the right place to put in a mouse related question.i have a ps/2 mouse and after i work with it for some time, especially if i play a game,when i get back to my desktop my mouse pointer either completely disappears or stays stuck in one place on my screen.but i can drag select and bring up the right click menu even though i cant see my pointer icon.once i lose or get the pointer stuck,if i go into a game the game does have a mouse pointer but move out from the game and the pointer disappears/freezes again.if i reboot my puter i again get the mouse working good for a while.anyone have any clue about whats wrong here?is it my mouse or is it my motherboard or is it windows itself that's playing up? :sad:

P

·
0 Posts
is it my mouse or is it my motherboard or is it windows itself that's playing up?
I would not think so as you are experiencing it after playing games. We may try to uninstall/reinstall your mouse drivers. If you are using a hi-end mouse 98 would cause some problems. Or else it is hard to fix Os corruptions in win98. Lets see how you do after uninstall/reinstall. Also get the latest windows updates.

Regards.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi i tried removing and reinstalling the mouse but the problem persists(btw my current os is XP).well it also plays up when merely browsing-look into a few sites and my pointer either vanishes or gets stuck on the screen somewhere

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
um actually even if i dont play the game, if i use the puter for some time, the mouse problem does occur.so it couldnt be the game right?or do you mean that while installing the game it might've replaced files or something?

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Have you scanned for viruses and spyware? This also could be the cause.

I thought you were saying it disappeared after playing the game. That is why I said to look for a patch. If it does it when the game has not been played, then it is unlikely the game is at fault.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ello everyone, thankie for the responses.yes i did check for virus and spyware but cant find any.and about the usb mouse- sorry but i dont have one :sayno: guess i'll have to wait and save up money for one*shrugs*

·
Registered
423 Posts
(Vauge stirrings in the back of my mind). I've seen this before, mouse pinter disappears on exiting a game.

Out of curiosity is all games or just one if so which game??

I have a feeling it was the graphic card driver at fault. You are aware of course that the screen image is several layers deep. (Wallpaper, desktop, application, tool bar. etc etc ) Well it seems that the mouse layer was getting screwed up.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
um it doesnt mess up with all games.and it doesnt mess up with a particular game all the time either.but if i play "impossible creatures" there is a good chance of mouse pointer disappearing when i exit the game.umm is there any way i can repair the mouse pointer layer?

·
Registered
423 Posts
No it is not possible to repair the mouse layer. Just make sure your graphic card drivers are up to date.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ack i tried to patch impossible creatures and my mouse kept freezing up.i reinstalled mouse.should i try and run HJT?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
for some reason when i try running the impossible creature patch the mouse pointer just freezes on the screen.yet the mouse itself is functional- if i right click i do get a menu,and i can drag select(it doesnt show the pointer but does show the drag selection box).what i AM sure of is that my monitor is playing up-i tried running a game called airport tycoon 3 and well the monitor just turns off, no display at all-and i took my cpu to the shop and when they connected it to another monitor it worked fine.so my question is,will a bad monitor affect the mouse pointer?btw my impossible creature patch doesnt work too well-it runs upto 27% and then freezes.and as i said it freezes my mouse pointer.anyone have any idea regarding this please do post

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ok Ok hold on I get this a lot. People running around like loose cannons blaming everything except the the true cause.

Lets start from the top.
What is your system spec?
CPU?
RAM?
Graphic card?
Windows version?
etc etc

Is your system new? (less than 2 years old)
Did you buy it new?
Is it a second hand or older system (more than 4 years old?)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
an update to my problem:i just bought and installed brian lara's cricket 2005and for the first couple of times when i tried running it my mouse pointer just vanished.each time , i rebooted and got the pointer back only to lose it again when i opened the game.after a couple of times of such frustrated rebooting the mouse pointer decided to play nice but when i started up my puter the next day and ran the game the mouse pointer froze again!.somebody please heeeeelp!

my system: p4 2.4GHz processor,256 mb memory,nvidia Geforce mx 4000 graphic card(64 mb memory),windows xp home edition,asus motherboard,onboard sound,ps2 mouse and the syetm is less than an year old,and i bought it brand new

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm not ignoring you I'm working on it for you.

Re: System spec. The machine looks good and ought to work just fine. Although you may wish to up the system memory to 512mg. Win XP will run on 256mg (according to Microsoft) But 512mg or more will be a lot better.

In the meantime right click with the mouse to restore your pointer. Yea I know its a workabout but on my system it forces the mouse pointer back to life.

·
Registered
423 Posts
OK! I found something.

Firstly this is a known problem with windows XP but not everyone suffers from it. Guess we're just unlucky.

Its all to do with how windows XP changes the screen resolution. When you or the system alter the screen resolution (like when you exit a game) the graphic card memory has to be completely reconfigured. This will take a while to complete and the mouse pointer layer of the screen suffers.

Solution 1.
Go to the NVidia web site and download the latest drivers for you card. The fact that your system is less than a year old means nothing. Make sure you have the latest driver.

Solution 2.
Check and make sure that your desktop screen resolution is idendical to the screen resolution used in the game. The popular sizes are 640x480, 600x800 or 1024x768. dependant on what size monitor you use and how good your eye sight is.

Will this fix the problem? No it wont. But it should reduce the amout of time it takes for the mouse pointer to reappear.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
err um sir,i actually cannot get back the pointer by right clicking.what i meant was, if i do right click the right click menu shows up.if i drag i also get a selection box.but the pointer itself goes AWOL.only was to get it back i reboot :cry:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I found a Quick Fix (I had same problem)

I had the same problem: mouse wanted to play hide and seek with me. Would freeze in the middle of the screen but i was able to click stuff still...

Heres what i did

FIX

Go to Controll pannel, then to the mouse settings

Next go to pointer options and enable "display pointer trails"

and then it should pop up.

I noticed that after I installed the newest ver of DirectX 9.0c is started acting up.... Did you recently install a new ver of direct x?

I hope this helps ya. Good Luck. :smile:

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
whee thank you for that tip.umm i have directx 9.0c but i am almost sure i had this problem before 9.0c.however i'll try your advice and get back.tyvm again :grin:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.