Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw a post by someone else with similar symptoms, but I thought that my problem was different enough that I should create my own thread.

I built my computer, so here are some simple specs:
Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (with all updated drivers)
Memory: 4 x 1GB sticks (PC3200 I think, but definitely all compatible with mobo)
Hard drives: Seagate 120gb (with Windows Installation)
Seagate 500gb (with Ubuntu installation and Windows files)

I was having trouble with Windows suddenly not recognizing my Plantronics .Audio 655 USB Headset as a USB Audio Device ("No Audio Device" in the Sound options under Control Panel). I came across a forum post on some other website with a quote from Plantronics saying to remove various drivers from the Device Manager.

I could only remove a few before I ran into big trouble. I removed HID-Compliant Consumer Control Device (I think that's what it was called), along with HID-Compliant Device (there were multiples of both of them, and they were next to each other in the same category: Human Interface Devices). I should have realized that both my Logitech G15 Keyboard and my Logitech G7 Wireless Mouse were USB devices and would stop working after removing those drivers. Well, I was right.

Apparently, I uninstalled both my USB keyboard and USB mouse. I had just barely begun following the steps from Plantronic (they also said to remove USB Host Controller and another driver that they said would be reinstalled upon restart).

I restarted, hoping that my keyboard and mouse would work upon reboot. Here's where my problem gets unique and scary. My Logitech USB keyboard doesn't work when I boot up my computer. I also tried using a PS/2 keyboard, and the lights on the keyboard won't even turn on. Same thing with a different, simple USB keyboard in any USB port. However, the LED light on the back of my tower come on for my ethernet cable, so I know that part of my motherboard is still working.

I can't boot to a CD because I can't use any keyboards. I can't change my boot order because I can't get into my BIOS. I have the newest Ubuntu (9.10 I think) and Windows XP dual booted, and my hard drive boots to the GRUB 2 boot loader. I can't use my keyboard to boot into Ubuntu nor Windows, so I'm stuck. What's weird to me is that GRUB used to load into Ubuntu with a countdown, but recently the countdown has mysteriously gone away, so I can't boot into either OS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need more information let me know as well.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Mouse/Keyboard don't work, can't boot! [SOLVED]

Since I can't edit my post after 30 minutes, I guess I'll have to double post.

Previously, I could not boot because my PS/2 keyboard must've been out of whack. Using a different PS/2 keyboard and mouse, my computer is mostly operational. However, I am still experiencing USB problems.

Now, my problem is that since I removed the above Human Interface drivers, the whole Human Interface Devices section is missing from the device manager, and any USB ports fail to work at all; even my printer doesn't work.

EDIT: I noticed that there is a "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" under Other Devices in the Device Manager with a :exclaim: to the left of it. The Device Status said: "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)", so I clicked Reinstall Drivers, and I chose the default USB controller (the only one listed if Show Compatible Hardware is checked). It reinstalled my drivers and now the mouse and keyboard both work again. I guess that solves the problem!

If someone wants to close this thread, feel free. I would recommend leaving it up for anyone else who experiences these problems, though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.