Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I would like to Thank all of the mods on this site. I come and read and get a lot of knowledge to keep my computers running.
Question is I have a bunch of hard drives that came out of my son's old computer that I want to use. They may have been damaged by his power supply going bad but I what to find out for sure.
I have tried most of the programs supplied by the mfg to mount the drives and none of them worked. I can see the drives in device manger but can not get them to come up with a drive letter. I have a program called testdrive that showes that no partitions on drive. I read over the docs and could not find a read me on how to add a partition to the drive. looks to have an option to add a partition but no instructions.
Does anyone know or direct me to a read me on setting up partitions on drive?
Is there a different program to get the drives up and running?

Thanks for any Help.

Icemeister

·
Registered
374 Posts
Have you tried using disk management to partition and format the drives? It is in windows administrative tools > computer management. If they are not formatted your os will not see them, but device manager will.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you tried using disk management to partition and format the drives? It is in windows administrative tools > computer management. If they are not formatted your os will not see them, but device manager will.
This worked great on the first drive. It is now at work doing a back up. The second drive is formating takes some time to do a 500 gig drive.
Now the question is can the process be used when I want to save the files and os on a drive. or can it add a drive letter and path and leave the rest of the drive alone?
Thanks
IceMeister

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you would like to break up a drive into separate partitions, you should do so before loading files/os on drive. If you would like the freedom to adjust partitions, add, delete, resize, etc. there are 3rd party partition tools for that (acronis disk director, partition magic). In disk management you just right click unallocated space and select new partition, select the size you want and assign drive letter. Then file system and quick format. These aren't the exact steps, but very similar.

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
If you made the entire drive one big partition, in disk management you will need to delete that partition, then create the partitions of the size you want, then format each partition, at the format stage is where a drive letter will be assigned. You don't specify what OS you are using, but it is generally better to plan your partition structure and set it up that way from the start.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you would like to break up a drive into separate partitions, you should do so before loading files/os on drive. If you would like the freedom to adjust partitions, add, delete, resize, etc. there are 3rd party partition tools for that (acronis disk director, partition magic). In disk management you just right click unallocated space and select new partition, select the size you want and assign drive letter. Then file system and quick format. These aren't the exact steps, but very similar.
Thanks for the info. I downloaded a trial copy of partition magic to see what I could learn. I also agree about setting up the drives from the start.
My problem is my kid had 4 500gig drives in his gaming computer when the power failed. I would like to recover the drives (2 Raided) I can see the drives in device manager. Can I use the computer management program to assign a new drive letter and path and have the drives bootable?

Thanks

IceMeister

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
I assume when you say in, these are internal drives?
No, you are down to a point of doing a recovery- first of all, what raid level 0 or 1? If 0 then you would need an identical controller to rebuild it physically. If it is raid 1, then the drives should come up. You can try using r-studio to rebuild the array into a virtual array if they were raid 0. Creating new partitions will rewtrite the partition table. Now when you say you want to try to recover the drives, do you mean re-use the drives, or do you want to recover the data - two completely different directions to go in. If you just want to reuse the drives, doesn't matter if they were in a raid or not.
General sequence.
Install one of the drives
Does it spin up
Does it make any noise>
Does BIOS recgnize it?
If the answers are yes, no, yes to the above then go to disk management. if the drive is shown there, then you can create a new partition and format. You may need to right click on the gray are of the drive and initialize or import the drive. The only way the drive will be bootable is if you install an OS on it. Obviously you only need the OS on one of them - best to see which drives are stable. If any fail the above tests, or are not seen in disk management then post the symptoms and make and model number of each drive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I assume when you say in, these are internal drives?
No, you are down to a point of doing a recovery- first of all, what raid level 0 or 1? If 0 then you would need an identical controller to rebuild it physically. If it is raid 1, then the drives should come up. You can try using r-studio to rebuild the array into a virtual array if they were raid 0. Creating new partitions will rewtrite the partition table. Now when you say you want to try to recover the drives, do you mean re-use the drives, or do you want to recover the data - two completely different directions to go in. If you just want to reuse the drives, doesn't matter if they were in a raid or not.
General sequence.
Install one of the drives
Does it spin up
Does it make any noise>
Does BIOS recgnize it?
If the answers are yes, no, yes to the above then go to disk management. if the drive is shown there, then you can create a new partition and format. You may need to right click on the gray are of the drive and initialize or import the drive. The only way the drive will be bootable is if you install an OS on it. Obviously you only need the OS on one of them - best to see which drives are stable. If any fail the above tests, or are not seen in disk management then post the symptoms and make and model number of each drive.

I guess I was not clear about the drives. first when my son set the drives up he did not raid them as i expected him to. So one drive has an os on it and the other drive has just some files. I have only hooked up the drive with a usb cable I have one of the universal drive adapters. The drive comes up in device manager but no information comes up other than the driver. All information is unknown. It does not show up in disk manager. I am going to check testdrive to see if it comes up. I did try to uninstall and then reinstall with a no go. device type is disk drive. He would like to install the drive with the os on it in my old computer and either use my computer untill he can build a new one or just move the info to a fresh hard drive installed and set up on my old computer.

Thanks you have been so great.

IceMeister

·
Registered
374 Posts
You will likely be unable to just swap out an os drive from one computer to another. I would recommend installing it into an external enclosure and copying data from it. You could try a repair install or attempt to clone the drive if he needs installed programs intact. Lucky it wasn't raided in this case! You haven't attempted to format either os or data drive have you? You said there were four.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You will likely be unable to just swap out an os drive from one computer to another. I would recommend installing it into an external enclosure and copying data from it. You could try a repair install or attempt to clone the drive if he needs installed programs intact. Lucky it wasn't raided in this case! You haven't attempted to format either os or data drive have you? You said there were four.
Yes 4 drives With your help 2 are now ready to go to work. They are all fixed up and looking like a cat licking his paws after a hunt.
one drive I have not checked yet I just grabbed one and hooked it up looking to see which drive it was. Still hooked up and trying different programs to see if it will come alive. Partition magic, testdrive,disk manager, are the only programs I have at this time but will search for more later this evening.
no formating on the last 2 drives.

Thanks

IceMeister

Th

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
if you want to check your drives to ensure that they are good, see my signature for HDD DIAG UTILS. Nice site that lists all the manufacturers with links to Diagnostic Programs

The Seagate V1.1 Dos Utility is especially good for checking disk surface and reporting bad sectors found. Just select the drive that you want to check by the number as listed and then hit L for LONG test .. if the drive is compatible then it may well allow you to zero the drives removing all previous data bringing it to unformatted status. Also when checking Drives that are not Seagate, Ignore the Over Temperature warning .. it's because the temp sensors are not compatible with Seagate software.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if you want to check your drives to ensure that they are good, see my signature for HDD DIAG UTILS. Nice site that lists all the manufacturers with links to Diagnostic Programs

The Seagate V1.1 Dos Utility is especially good for checking disk surface and reporting bad sectors found. Just select the drive that you want to check by the number as listed and then hit L for LONG test .. if the drive is compatible then it may well allow you to zero the drives removing all previous data bringing it to unformatted status. Also when checking Drives that are not Seagate, Ignore the Over Temperature warning .. it's because the temp sensors are not compatible with Seagate software.
Thanks for the heads up. The last 2 drives i have to work on are seagate drives.
I have the seagate program and will try it again. It failed on me once and i moved on to other programs. i will try again. I have not had the time to get back to working on the drives but will soon. I had to rebuild my home server and back everything up reload the saved files I had on the server. A lot of work fixing this stuff. I keep learning and trying new stuff.
Thanks again.

IceMeister

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
The Seagate software is especially good since it doesn't reject testing of non-Seagate Drives .. The Western Digital Equivalent jumps out of program if it finds no WD drives .. Other Programs I have found do similar, refusing to test any other drive apart from their own brand. Maxtor is part of Seagate, having taken them over, older drives might fail the temperature sensor test ..

Normally best to use the associated mfr software with a drive .. so if you find something fails with Seagete double check with Mfr's Utility just to make sure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.