Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any tell me that how can i make my windows /dos partition to get mounted automatically whenever i start the system. As i found it irritating to type that long command to mount the dos partition.
Also every time i have to mount the cdrom too . Is there any command by which i dont have to do thses stuffs again n again when ever i start my machine.

I have installed redhat linux 7.2 on my machine. My machine is a celeron 500 mhz, 190 mb sdram, 10 gb hdd, 52 x cd rom drive and a intell 810e chipset motherboard with on board display and audio

:deveous: :eek: :cry: :bhart:

Ramjeet

·
Registered
711 Posts
Hi Ramjeet and welcome to the forums :)

To mount your DOS partition every time you boot your system you'll need to edit the "fstab" file on your system.. generally you'd do the following.

vi /etc/fstab

append a line to the bottom of this file

/dev/hdx <~~x being the DOS partition ie /dev/hdb1 is the C drive of my windows machine under linux.

an entry would look like the following.
/dev/hdb1 vfat defaults 1 1

as far as the CDROM goes.. you don't want to mount it everytime as it'll spew errors regarding no media found ect.. but you can setup a short cut on your desktop. Let me know if you'd like to learn how to do that :)

Drew

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dos mounting

Thanks Drew :)

Thanks for that solution for mounting the dos partition automatically. I would like to learn the one which u have suggested to do that is how do i create a desktop shortcut for the cdrom also can i do this for the dos partition too.

Also one more query. if u dont mind

I had two partitions of 4.8 Gb each of my 10 Gb hdd. I had installed my redhat linux 7.2 on my logical drive or u can sau on hda5 drive id in Linux standard. before doing that i tried to install winxp on my primary dos partition after installing the win98 se.
It gave a stop error. this happened when the xp setup was installing devices and the time remaining showed was 34 minutes. I tried the setup thrice but the same probs. Any how i format that drive that c drive in windows and hda1 in linux standard. Now my c drive is bootable. My query is that can i install win os of any version on my dos partition after having linux loaded on the logical drive. will the setup of winxxxx create any probs on the boot loader for linux as i dont want to loose it again.

Ramjeet

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.