Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mower was working fine until a couple of days ago. The engine died and I thought it was out of fuel, I added some. It then started, fired a few times and died.
I discovered that if I wait 30 seconds, it will fire again just a few times and then die.
I have cleaned out the fuel tank and carburettor as per the manual but it has made no difference, the symptom is exactly the same.
I have tried it with the air filter off and the filler cap off to eliminate them as issues. No difference either.
Any pointers would be gratefully received.
The engine is one with a governor near the crankcase, not near the head.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your comment.
I did wonder about that but have checked the spark plug and it appears OK. And the engine does fire, if briefly. Why would it fire again after a few seconds?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I was beginning to wonder about that. I know the condenser in a car distributor can cause symptoms similar to fuel issues. But I don't know how to check it, I think that is a job for a professional.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks. I was beginning to wonder about that. I know the condenser in a car distributor can cause symptoms similar to fuel issues. But I don't know how to check it, I think that is a job for a professional.
The SV150 engine is a chinese engine not the best type of lawn mower with no priemer bulb with a plastic choke mechanism that can fail to operate correctly.
These carburettors don't like pump fuel with ethanol in it and need to be drained if not used weekly cleaning best by ultrasonic method best.
NGK spark plugs recommended the most reliable make chinese spark plugs are complete junk.
To check ignition spark look at the magnet on the flywheel sometimes this can get rust on the suface clean with sand paper and apply a film of grease then check the gap between the fly wheel and spark plug coil, undo the retaining bolts place a thin piece of cardboard about 15th thick that will fit between the the coil prongs and flywheel push the coil into the flywheel then tighten the retaning bolts to set the required gap. Thats all you need to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts