Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a question about the new surfboard modems. 5100 and the 5120 to be exact. can anyone tell me a definitive answer on whats the difference between the two? im thinking of replacing my rented scientific atlantic modem from Charter, cuz i have a feeling its not up to par. i constantly have to power cycle it every week. so if i get one of these, will i notice any better speeds? i have 3/256 service trhu Charter, and lately its been crappy. i searched google for reviews and nothing really compares the two. So if any of ya'll have these 2 modems, i'd love to hear your opinions on your modem...

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
The 5120 is one of the latest Motorola DOCSIS 2.0 compliant modems. It is a good modem from everything I have heard. Can't say if your speed with increase, do not expect more than you are paying for, unless your local cable provider has increased the bandwidth limits. You may be having problems with your current modem if the cable company is upgrading to keep up with the Verizon FOIS service speeds.

The local cable company in my area was screwing with their network, caused a number of DOCSIS 1.0 modems to quit working and caused many nightly reboots of the cable modem due to the cable companies scheduled work they failed to communicate to the end users, so many customers were confused about what was going on.

Call your cable provider and inquire with Level 2 or 3 support of any nightly or weekly network or plant upgrades are in progress. This may be the reason for your modem reboot requirements.

JamesO

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
I have Comcast and an old Toshiba DOCSIS modem, it has no trouble with the 6000/384 speeds of the Comcast network.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.