Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, been working on this for a few days now, and I'm out of ideas. Just wanted to see if there were any more suggestions before I send off for a new motherboard. Last weekend, I was playing WoW, when my computer froze entirely. The only thing I could do was turn it off. So I did. Then when I turned it back on, it began to power cycle, turning itself off every few seconds and then turning back on. No boot screen, no video at all. I've done a decent amount of troubleshooting and the problem persists. I have: reset CMOS, removed the battery for 30 sec, removed the RAM, video card, all of the hard drives/ssds, reseated the CPU, checked all connections, and replaced the PSU. The computer still does this. No video through motherboard output or video card output. Doesn't even get far enough to boot. My system:

• Gigabyte z390 gaming x motherboard
  • Intel i5 9600k coffee lake
  • Zota gaming RTX 2070 super mini
  • 32 gb ddr5 Orion RAM
  • EVGA 650 GQ psu
  • Corsair h60 120mm liquid cooler
Let me know if you have any ideas or if you think it's just time to send off for a new mobo. Thanks!

·
Global Moderator
51,344 Posts
Did you replace the RAM? If you have multiple sticks of memory, try using only one of them. If you still have a problem, swap it for one of the others. That should let you know if it's a RAM issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you replace the RAM? If you have multiple sticks of memory, try using only one of them. If you still have a problem, swap it for one of the others. That should let you know if it's a RAM issue.
So I tried booting without all of the things I listed that I removed. So I tried booting with none of the RAM installed and it didn't change the boot up problem. That should be effectively the same as what you're suggesting correct?

·
Global Moderator
51,344 Posts
Well, I would suspect the motherboard, but I think it may be unhappy with no RAM at all, which is why I suggest getting at least one good stick of memory on it for testing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I would suspect the motherboard, but I think it may be unhappy with no RAM at all, which is why I suggest getting at least one good stick of memory on it for testing.
Gotcha. Well I did just test this and there is no change with either of only one RAM stick in any of the 4 ports.

·
Global Moderator
51,344 Posts
I'd send the MB back. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could it be that you need to read your contacts? all of a sudden some small debris got there
I went ahead and got a new motherboard, and a new issue has popped up so I don't think this was the case.

Now, it freezes on boot up, but it will stay on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So with the new motherboard, the issue has changed. Now it will freeze after about 30 seconds to a minute. Typically when booting into windows although it can freeze in the BIOS menu too. I've gotten a BSOD twice with a machine check exception error code. Any ideas?

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,855 Posts
If it freezes in the BIOS menu, it has absolutely nothing to do with Windows. It is a serious hardware issue that needs to be resolved before the computer will be able to run any operating system.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it freezes in the BIOS menu, it has absolutely nothing to do with Windows. It is a serious hardware issue that needs to be resolved before the computer will be able to run any operating system.
So I've done some more tinkering, and found the computer boots when oc genie is turned on. This makes me think the auto mode is not allocating the correct power to the CPU?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I tried manually setting the core voltage to 1.260 V and it worked! If there's any danger to upping voltage without any of the other changes enacted by OC let me know. But it's running ok atm.

·
8,855 Posts
Resetting the BIOS to Factory Defaults would be my first step. It should then be able to boot into the BIOS and stay running that way ... forever. If it can't even do that, there is a hardware issue somewhere that needs to be resolved before attempting to run an operating system.

The hardware must be running 100% perfect, before any software can be expected to.

·
8,855 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Resetting the BIOS to Factory Defaults would be my first step. It should then be able to boot into the BIOS and stay running that way ... forever. If it can't even do that, there is a hardware issue somewhere that needs to be resolved before attempting to run an operating system.

The hardware must be running 100% perfect, before any software can be expected to.
Yeah I've reset the BIOS several times, and on the first boot it
Good to hear you got it working. I'd now leave it running that way overnight and see if it's still running okay tomorrow morning.
Will do! Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I think the system is bricked now. There were some things not running well, so I decided to try and update windows, bios, drivers, etc. When I went to update the BIOS, it froze at 22%. So is there anything I can do or is it just done now?

·
Global Moderator
51,344 Posts
Given that you've gone through two motherboards, one might start considering other issues that could cause these problems.

I believe this has been suggested more than once in this forum, start out simple.

Take the motherboard & processor, power supply, and a video board. Plug them together on a table outside of the case. Get that combination working properly. Add the hard drive and try installing Windows. Get that working properly. Once you're reasonably sure you have a working basic configuration, then carefully assemble it in the case.

Reactions: SpywareDr

·
Registered
78 Posts
Figured. Thanks!
IN working off of one of 2 sticks of ram only, it may matter which slot you use. Also, have you tried running the on board video? Does your mobo have an LED display that can show problem codes? Does the PSU power up? Could you have one or more bad PSU cables?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts