Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All,

WinXP, SP3, HPdv5000z, laptop.

I started getting a common "Device not recognized" for all of my USB ports. It started with one of them and then another and another, until a few days later they all simultaneously failed (3 of them). I've uninstalled drivers for each and for the USB controller, but I've had no luck. I booted from Ubuntu Live so I could rule out software issues. Ubuntu wouldn't even power the devices.

So, it seems that my USB controller has died on my mb? I thought ok, then I can buy an expresscard with USB ports, right? (Well, I can buy it, but that doesn't mean it's gonna work). Anyway, when I tried to install it, I get the same "Device not recognized". This is really strange because I would expect the expresscard to connect to the mb directly, not go through the USB controller? I can't remember completely, but I think the expresscard even showed up under USB controller in device manager (BTW, I tested the expresscard on a different laptop and it worked).

I've considered buying a PCI card with USB ports, but those are more expensive and if that will go through the controller as well, there is no point.

Would anybody have any useful suggestions? I know that every laptop is different, but would you think that the PCI card will do the same thing as the expresscard? Can anyone suggest something I haven't considered?

Thanks!,
Ben
-bjf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks wrench97,

Looking at the screen, the expresscard plugs in on the right side and the PCI card plugs in on the left. Without opening the computer, I really couldn't tell you more than that. Why does this matter? They wouldn't connect to the mb through the USB controller, however, right? They would make direct contact to the mb?

Anyway, Really? That bites! Do you know this from experience or have you heard this happens to them.

I've been thinking about 1.) getting a new computer, or 2.) upgrading this one. Everyone always says that you might as well buy a new computer, but if I have to replace just the motherboard and I don't "muck up" any other component up when I replace it, wouldn't it be much less expensive to replace the motherboard (~$200)? The processor's worth keeping (AMD turion 2.2 GHz, 1GB L2 Cache) and I've got 2GBs of ram. I never use more than that even when maxing out multi-tasking on WinXP. The bus is kind slow, however, 333MHz. Anyway, a new computer would cost at least $1000.

Thanks for your input and any further to come!

Best,
Ben

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
have you tested the psu to see if the voltage is unstable or even dying on you? a failing psu can cause all kinds of issues and slowly take the motherboard with it, especially if its a low quality make.

Sorry I mean to say have you tested the power pack and the battery as your is a laptop.

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,106 Posts
All of the inputs run through the ICH hub(controller) you'll often see the USB listed as a PCI device because it runs on the PCI channel of the ICH

That's not your specific board but a fairly common set up.

I believe the port on left of your laptop is the Expansion port 2 connector used for hooking up docking stations, on some older models they have been used to power the laptop when the jack or charging section of the motherboard fails but I can't recall a PCI card for them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone!

wrench97,

I do have the expansion port, but the port I am talking about is different and large enough to be a PCI slot. I also have an old firewire port (4pin) and camera card ports. The camera card ports do work...don't know about the firewire. Is there any hope that the PCI slot might work? Also, all the ports, the ones which are failing and not, seem to be receiving power.

I'm willing to risk it if the whole motherboard is failing, because either way I'll have to go a much more expensive route.

I guess the underlying question is: does it sound likely that the PCI slot works?

Also, if the PCI card slot works, will there still be trouble if I try to attach USB ports through the PCI slot, like I did with the expresscard slot?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'll take a snapshot of it when I get home and send it to you. By externally, do you mean an added device I attached through some other port? In that case, no. This port is on the side of the laptop and the card which gets inserted in it will be inside the case.

Maybe it isn't a PCI slot, but then I have no idea what it is. It has a little "play" icon on the "pseudo-card" inserted in the slot, I guess it stands for "plug and play"...idk. The pseudo-card, when popped out, says "PA" on it.

Anyway, I'll get back to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Stu_computer. What does this do? If that's all I have to do, that would be cool. But, I fear the USB ports are dead. I'll try it.

@wrench97. I attached the image of the side of my laptop. I hope that helps. If it isn't a PCI slot, then what heck is that darned thing?, :) .

Don't know how long this will stay up:

-Ben

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha, yeah, you are right!, but the question remains, with my three USB and expresscard ports failing, is it likely that the PCMCIA slot will also fail if I use a PC card with USB ports?

Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.