Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm quite a hardcore gamer and I was wondering if you can
help build the best upgrade for my computer.

I am currently running on a VAIO VGC-RA204 (XPSP2):

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.6 (x2)
Board: ASUS, PTGD2-VX Rev 1.xx
(Chipset: i915p mem. interface: DDR PC3200)
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
Ram: 2084MB (512MB x 4)
RADEON X600XT

I'm thinking of changing both my hard disk and video card,
and eventually house VISTA on the new HD.

For my hard disk, I am looking at getting either the 250GB Hitachi T7K250
or 250GB Samsung Spinpoint P120, which both come in either
ATA or SATA. (or, please recommend other HD for that price range!)

I read that the SATA disks run a faster than ATA, and is
recommended if a lot of upgrading is going to be done, and
especially so for ppl running on high-intensive games/programs,
such as VISTA.

My question is, will my motherboard handle/support the new S-ATA hard disks?

I know it's possible to install SATA drives into my system by installing an add-on PCI SATA controller card (and with RAID),
but will this be a lot of hassel? Are there any limitations to this?
Will it run at optimum level?
I mean, will I be better off just buying a new motherboard that accepts the new format?
Or am I just better of by sticking with the ATA?

I googled my motherboard but I couldn't find any specs on it, or any information about S-ATA compatibility for that matter, so I would really appreciate if you can help me out.

At the moment I'm using a ATA-133.
Which CI SATA controller card's are best for me to move
towards ATA II/300?

Obviously, if I would love to salvage the motherboard....
changing it is going to cost more $$$ for all the upgrades that I will be doing. But if it's worth it in the long run, I will be willing to go ahead I guess....

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Best info I could find,, if your mobo has an AGP slot then you have support for only PATA drives, if your mobo has a PCIe slot then it should have support for SATA drives....look here http://www.vaiosite.com/info/mb/mb.htm
Or, you could just open the case and look to see if you have any SATA ports that are free....I suspect that it does, unfortunatley the only info I could find on it was in Japanese. With your current setup, you should have no problem running Vista with full aeroglass enabled without any upgrade. whichever HD you find out your mobo supports....check out newegg.com I do believe you can find a rather nice 320Gb HD (sata or pata) from WD and Seagate for around $94 when on sale. If you need a Raid card that will also provide sata support...look at the promise cards, they are highly reccomended by many members here. SATA is faster....but look to see that either type HD has a 16Mb cache...that will make a difference in performance regardless. Runing a promis HD contoller card can certainly be preferable, since a hardware based raid controller like the promise cards will outperform the typical software based motherboard raid.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
there is very little info available for your board its seems as though asus built that model exclusiverly for Sony ????? as such Sony has all control over bios releases

I am a priorietary systme hater; so if this system were mine; it would be getting a "heart" transplant (new retail version asus motherboard)

good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.
I'm on looking for a S-ASA hard drive now, and the
Raptor WD740GD is looking pretty good. :D

Yeah, I know Joe, there is little or no information about my drive, and Sony seem to think they dont have to respond to my emails anymore coz im dumping their products.
So would you suggest getting a new Mobo?
Which one would you recommend for my needs?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.