Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.. A day ago I was playing a game when out of the blue the screen goes black and the computer shuts off.. Except the power light stayed lit up... I tried restarting it many times but all that happens is the power light comes on and the processor fan spins a tiny bit and stops... none of the fans start and there is no sounds.. no harddrives boot up or anything...
I thought it was the power supply but I switched it out with a new one and had the same results... then I tried removing every componenet 1 by 1 and had the same results.... Does this sound like I need a new MB? It is a DFI socket A, AD70-SC, KT266A, DDR.... any help is appreciated

·
Registered
58 Posts
Same problem here... same freakin problem...

Anyone who can help, do (i have a post about an ID problem to check it).

PC shut off, power light stayed on... now only get fan twitches...

I have some AMD model Biostar...

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome MoosePunk........................:D

Try taking the CPU off and reseating it again. Also how many sticks of ram do you have in there?

·
Registered
58 Posts
My CPU isnt a new thing... i bought a barebones and have never put a CPU onto a MOBO (though i do have a handy little computer article for easy building) i'm not gonna risk it..

Fan is the only thing that registers any type of power...

I'd be money on Moose and my problems being identical.

S

·
0 Posts
I was referring to MoosePunk's post not to yours you thread hijacker you..................................LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried removing the CPU and switching it out with my old one.. same deal... CPU looks fine no visible melting and no burned smell in the computer... I also tried cleaning out the cpu fan, thinking it may be gunked up and not turning on.. same thing still... I have 2 sticks of 128 DDR and tried switching them out and tried different slots.. Thanks a bunch

S

·
0 Posts
Has this machine been running along fine prior to this?

Get a flashlight and take a look at the capacitors on the board and see if any of them are swollen or leaking.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ya its been running fine... other than random crashes the past few days in a game... but the game would just shut off, no computer problems what so ever

I opened and checked it... nothing seemed out of the ordinary... my friend said it happend to him and he had to get a new mobo ='(

(have a fresh post in this forum if you wanna get the full account)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same thing. board looks fine and the computer has been running fine for a while..... One question though.. how could the motherboard cause the powersupply to not turn on? Ive tried 2 powersupplys and neithers fan or anything comes on... could the MB being broken cause this? or would that have to be the powersupply?

S

·
0 Posts
They need to be connected to the motherboard to work! Are you hooking them up just like the old one?

S

·
0 Posts
At least the wire that goes to the front panel power on/off button needs to be connected. This is what gives the signal to turn the system on. But the signal has to go thru the motherboard to make the connection. So............:confused:

·
Registered
58 Posts
ya, i dunno either...

there is a connection with the front power, because when i hit the button the fan will twitch if i just plugged the whole thing in...

But nothing else...

Cant confirm powersupply, no one i know has a non comercial brand computer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My original powersupply was a 300.. i switched it out with a 250 i borrowed from a friend. So i guess it is maybe possible that the 300 died, and the 250 isnt powerful enough?? Thus they are giving the same results? I dunno.. so the motherboard CAN cause the powersupply to not start at all? like no fan or anything on? Or would it HAVE to be the powersupply since its fan doesnt even start? Im really confused as to what it could be exactly..

·
Registered
58 Posts
ya, my powersuppy can operate in 110 or 240... or something.. (dont feel like checking) but neither work, and the 100ish setting has been fine since i got it

·
Registered
2 Posts
you probably have a BIOS problem.Try reseting the CMOS on the motherboard.Look on the motherboard for the battery and if it has three pins by it with a jumper on two of them,move the jumper over to the other pin then move it back.If it doesn't have the three pins you will have to find out how to reset the CMOS on your board.I had a similar problem and that fixed mine to come on but it was caused by a bad onboard video.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.