Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Ok so basically my PC wont turn on. A few weeks ago my PSU blew up, but it worked fine with a new onw. Now, I press the power switch and theres no fans, noise, no nothing. No signs off life. So I tried the power supply in a different PC and it worked, so I dont think its a PSU problem.

Initially, it was booting up but blue screening before restarting just as it gets to the Vista Loading Screen. I tried 2 hard drives, both of which ive been using no problem in a spare PC, so It shouldnt be a hard drive issue. Ive tried removing GFX card and RAM and it does the same thing, so I think it must be a motherboard issue.

However, I tried a second PSU and it DOES boot up, but blue screens at the Vista Loading Bit, which makes me think the first PSU is broken, which it isnt because it works in a different PC.

My rig is,
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe Mobo
EVGA 8800GT Gfx Card
Intel Q6000 Quad Core CPU
Thermaltake 550W PSU (Doesnt work at all in my machine but works in spare machine)
Jeantech 400W (Works in both machines but not powerful enough to run my hardware efficiently)

Any ideas how to diagnose if its a fried or broken motherboard?

Thanks

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Initially, it was booting up but blue screening before restarting just as it gets to the Vista Loading Screen.
Ive tried removing GFX card and RAM and it does the same thing, so I think it must be a motherboard issue.

However, I tried a second PSU and it DOES boot up, but blue screens at the Vista Loading Bit, which makes me think the first PSU is broken, which it isnt because it works in a different PC.

My rig is,
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe Mobo
EVGA 8800GT Gfx Card
Intel Q6000 Quad Core CPU
Thermaltake 550W PSU (Doesnt work at all in my machine but works in spare machine)
Jeantech 400W (Works in both machines but not powerful enough to run my hardware efficiently)

Any ideas how to diagnose if its a fried or broken motherboard?
well, you wouldn't be getting that far if it was a fried or broken motherboard.
since it's getting past the post startup stage (text mode vga) but failing when switching into windows (graphics mode) that would suggest software error, as in bad drivers or corrupt file data (registry).

suggest you try a linux liveCD (like puppy linux) to check if it will load a different OS okay. alternative is to startup with windowsCD if fails then there is a hardware issue--and most likely it's the psu's are not up to the job.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
What video card is in your spare machine where the Thermaltake works?

Also, which Thermaltake power supply model is the 550?

The Jeantech is not big enough to pull an 8800GT, and besides that, it is a crap power supply (very low quality and weak) to start with, so difficult to tell.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, you wouldn't be getting that far if it was a fried or broken motherboard.
since it's getting past the post startup stage (text mode vga) but failing when switching into windows (graphics mode) that would suggest software error, as in bad drivers or corrupt file data (registry).
Ive tried Reinstalling a fresh copy of Windows, same thing happens. Updated the BIOS also.

What video card is in your spare machine where the Thermaltake works?

Also, which Thermaltake power supply model is the 550?

The Jeantech is not big enough to pull an 8800GT, and besides that, it is a crap power supply (very low quality and weak) to start with, so difficult to tell.
The video card in the spare machine is an ATI X700, and the PSU in my machine is a Thermaltake Purepower 560APD. It shouldnt be the PSU because it was working fine before.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any ideas?

Nothing boots up at all. No fans, no noise, nothing. Tried 2 PSU's, both work in a different computer so its not a PSU problem. Tried 2 hard drives, both work in a different PSU so its not that either.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Any ideas?
I have an idea. Go to the store and get a corsair 650TX or better and install it in your pc. If this does not resolve issue (I think otherwise). Take the psu back.

Tried 2 PSU's, both work in a different computer so its not a PSU problem.
Doesn't matter. The different pc is low end with lower power requirements.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Try bypassing the the power switch by touching the two pins the switch connect to with a screw driver.

usually when a computer does nothing meaning no lights or fans is one of three things, psu, motherboard or case switch.

Your psu's are not dead they may be inadequate, if manually bypassing the case switch don't work I think your looking at a bad motherboard

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
If the OS was installed on a different motherboard, you need to repair the install to run the hard drive on the new motherboard, that's what I figure is causing the blue screens. Drivers eh.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, so I eventually bought a new motherboard after no success, which worked! It just powered up as normal, working fine. HOWEVER...

...2 days later, the same thing happened. Wont turn on. No fans, noise, nothing. But the PSU still works in another computer so its not that, and it cant be the motherboard because its new. CONFUSION.

·
Banned
4,862 Posts
PSU. Your PSU is working in the other computer because it has an ATX x700 GPU, which draws very little power. The 8800GT, on the other hand, requires at least [email protected]+12V, and if the PSU is deteriorating from overwork--not dead, but the parts are wearing down--then it won't be able to deliver that. If it deteriorates far enough the computer won't start at all.

Did you try the Corsair PSU that was suggested? I suggest the Corsair tx650w.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok an update after a day of attempted repairing...

The PSU works fine in another machine.
It does exactly the same thing with a different CPU, so its not the CPU.
Ive tried taking out each stick of RAM, and eventually no RAM at all, and still nothing.
The hard drive works in another PC.
Ive used a meter to make sure the power switch is engaging properly, which it is.

Could this be the case shorting it out or something?! Its the only possible thing I can think of.

Thanks

·
Banned
4,862 Posts
The PSU working in another machine that draws half the power of your current one only proves that it will work when you're pulling half the power you want to pull. Odds are it's a POS and can't handle an 8800GT.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Im not familiar with the newer Sockets.. But if the Current PSU IS Compatable with that Intell Socket and has the extra PCIe x16 dangle if aplicable... then the board should recieve power with just the CPU and RAM... unplug everything else from the board. (RESET CMOS B4 WHILE your AT IT) IF it does not, And your PSU operates UNPLUGED from everything with the PINs jumped, then you probably fried your board somehow. As mentioned by others the PSU your using with your system to begin with is Inadequite. And since this is the Second board you say did that with the PSU, I wouldnt try it again. The PSU is Just as or More improtant then the CPU/Board/GPU etc... cause how is anything gana run without power? Get yourself a quality PSU, (NOT JUST HIGH WATTAGE) A lower wattage Quality PSU will actually perform better then a HIGH Wattage Cheapo.

PS. Yes you can damage your system with a Cheap PSU

EDIT: another senario... Cause you mentioned your system did operate for a little bit b4 the Boot Problem... If thats a new build your talking about.. Another alternative that can accure is if you Dont have the CPU Heatsink and Thermal Compound Seated correctly and your Overheating your CPU?... that will cease your board from turning on, and theres no way of testing that issue i know of but to put a known good CPU inplace of it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
An update:

Ok, I spoke to Gigabyte, and they said it sounds like a motherboard issue. I then spoke to a computer repair shop, who said the same

However, after plugging just the CPU and RAM in, with the mobo out of the case, and it switched on and beeped. Initially it did nothing as usual, but after leaving it for a few hours, I tried again and it turned on, beeping continuously, which means "power issue" in the mobo manual.

So I stole a 500W PSU from another PC in the house to see if I could get to desktop, just so I know the motherboard isn't faulty. It worked.

So I'm now looking to buy a new, quality PSU. Any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.