Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just started happening today, when i boot up the pc, it goes to the dos screen where it loeads up the info on the IDE cables, but then it waits awhile then "none" appears where the HD's would be. it happens most of the time, i've checked all the connections they seem to be good, i have to keep powering up hte pc till it reads the drives

any help would be good.

thanks!

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums Stan...........:D

How about some info on your hardware? You really didn't give us much to go on there.........:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thx,

n
motherboard: VIA VT82C693+596(Pro+) two chip AGPset
(the manuel says that, kinda old)(believe its chainsaw or something like that)

Memory: 196MB SDRAM
HD: 16gb fujitsu the one above 5400prm, cant remember , lol
40gb fujitsu 5400rpm
Videocard: GF4 MX460
sound: onboard

thats about it i guess

hope it helps

S

·
0 Posts
Well the first thing I would do is try a new battery in there! If it's one of those round silver ones (CR2032) I think there only a couple of bucks.......:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anyone know where i may find the battery???
is in on the mobo or the HD? cuz i checked the HD n i cant seem to find it?

any help would be nice

thx!

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Not all motherboards have a battery. If you see a chip with the brand name of DALLAS on it, it's got an internal battery.

I found a board with this chipset on it, and it described a replaceable battery with it. Do you know what brand the MB is, VIA is the chipset maker, they didn't make MB's with that chipset AFAIK.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not sure what the maker of the mobo is, but when i opened up the case i'm sure i saw the battery, round n flat. close to the AGP port
in the manual it has a layout of the mobo, n it has a battery slot, i'm pretty sure it doesnt have a internal battery because its a pretty old mobo

but i believe the maker is Chainsaw

S

·
0 Posts
On the first screen you will see upon bootup there will be a string of numbers on the bottom left of the page.

Something like

2A59L-XXXX-XXX
Or
51-1506-XXXX-XXXX
Or
12/09/1999 i440LX

Write down these numbers exactly as you see them and post them here...

SPEEDO

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
now when i get the mobo to recongnize the hard drives, it only will show up 1 when i go into my computer

but i did manage to get the numbers

06/02/2000 -693-596-8671-2A6LGC3A6-00

**i finally able to get on, I disconnected my second hard drive 40gb, then when i start up i get this message

"CMOS check sumerror - Defaults loaded"

not sure what that means, but i'm leaning towards my second hard drive that is broken, looks like i might need to get a new one now

·
Registered
23 Posts
Stan said:
now when i get the mobo to recongnize the hard drives, it only will show up 1 when i go into my computer

but i did manage to get the numbers

06/02/2000 -693-596-8671-2A6LGC3A6-00

**i finally able to get on, I disconnected my second hard drive 40gb, then when i start up i get this message

"CMOS check sumerror - Defaults loaded"

not sure what that means, but i'm leaning towards my second hard drive that is broken, looks like i might need to get a new one now
You just reset your CMOS :)

Try to search on google your mainboard name and flash
like -> download +mainboardname +updateflash

-> then download the .bin file and awdflash.exe from site
then boot with a diskette and type awdflash example.bin example2.bin /c /yy /r
you will update your flash to a new version and you'll be able to setup a 100gb+ hdd init

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.