Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very lost...

I got a new iPod shuffle, and it doesn't work on my computer (along with all the poor saps on the Apple forums who are just as lost as me). Apple hasn't been much help. :sigh:

Basically, I've been told that my USB drivers need to be updated, and since I have a custom-built PC, I need to find the motherboard manufacturer to update it... My friend's older iPod works just fine on my computer, but tech support said that the new one requires me to update the USB driver. (I have no idea if this is true.)

So, I wasn't the one to build the computer, so I don't know how to figure out where to get the driver. After some research, I downloaded a program called EVEREST to find out what parts my computer has, and I think my motherboard is a "Chaintech 7VJL APOGEE"?

Device Manager has a bunch of items listed under USB controllers... It has 4 "USB Root Hub"s, 3 "VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller"s, and 1 "VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller," ...I assume that's my USB 2.0? (although I don't know if that means all of the USB ports are 2.0 or just one of them. Anyone know?) When I plug in the iPod, sometimes an "Unknown Device" shows up there too, but it never shows up in My Computer like it's supposed to.

Can someone help me figure out how to at LEAST figure out what parts I have that need to be updated, and maybe how to do so? Because I know Apple won't help...

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
What service packs are installed for xp.? Xp will supply the usb driver, not
the mobo manufacturer. Make sure xp is all up to date.Double check bios
and make sure usb2.0 or highspeed usb is enabled.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What service packs are installed for xp.? Xp will supply the usb driver, not
the mobo manufacturer. Make sure xp is all up to date.Double check bios
and make sure usb2.0 or highspeed usb is enabled.
I have service pack 2, and Windows Update says no new hardware updates.

How do I check bios? Don't know much about it...
Also, how do I make sure 2.0 is enabled, and how do I know that it's enabled for the port I'm using?

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Most computers will enter the bios setup menu when you hit delete on initial boot. Then, go to the advanced area and find the USB area and make sure it is enabled.

Also, when you go to device manager, find the USB area, open it up with a click on the +. Then right cleck each item under there (yes, all of them) and select update drivers. Many times the drivers are already on the hard disk from your operating system, so if you click update drivers, it will load them if they are there.

Post back with questions/concerns.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I entered BIOS (Phoenix), but it asks for a password, and I have no idea what it is :-(

I think the USB ports are enabled, though, because Windows sees a device present when I hook it up... it just doesn't recognize it or display it in My Computer. Still, though, is there any way to get around the BIOS password?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.