To starts, my set up specs are;

Mobo - Z87 GA45 Gaming (brand new)

CPU - i5 4670k (brand new)

Ram - 8GB Gskill 1600, 8GB Geil Cobra 1600

Storage- 2TB Seagate 7200rpm HDD, 250GB Samsung EVO SSD

PSU - Antec 850W Signature

Case - LianLi Tyr PCX2000

OS - Windows 7

I bought the i5 second hand, but still unused a few weeks ago at a very good price, but of course needed a new mobo to accomodate it, since I was using an older GAX58-UD4P with an i7 920.

Hooked it all up, everything seems to be working apart from the hard drives. The case has 6 hard drive bays that are hot swappable, although I never move them. I have connected the HDD to the power supply and to the mobo correctly. The HDD is spinning up on start up, so it's getting power. However the mobo doesn't recognise that theyre even plugged in.

My cables all work, I plugged into the HDD directly and it recognised straight away with the same cables. I've also tried multiple hard drive bays, all to no avail.

It was suggest I turn on AHCI in the bios, this was already on however. I did put it on IDE mode (no idea what it is tbh) and it did recognise one of the HDD, although it couldn't read any data off it.

I have this posted on the MSI forum also, things we've ruled out -

My ram is not causing any troubles.
It's booting in legacy+UEFI mode.
It's set to AHCI Sata mode
The 2tb HDD does have my old OS on it, it should still get recognised. Whether it boots or not is the question. As of now I can't even format it.
My brand new SSD isn't recognised either.
Running in IDE mode isn't actually helping, windows says it's unable to format the SSD and won't find the HDD

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
That is odd. The hot-swap sockets are just straight-through connectors on from the front to the back of the boards. There is no 'electronics' involved here to recognise per se. I could understand one being faulty but not all. Are you sure you have the correct sata port on the back of the hot-swap panel connected? i.e. not connecting to the left side instead of right when face on (trust me we've all done it) There will be six sata ports, one for each drive. try connecting all six to your Motherboard then inserting the drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well there are 2 columns, each with three harddrive bays. I've connected an entire side to the mobo even though I'm only trying to use 1 HDD.

I'm using the PC now with the HDD outside the case and it's working fine, I havnt even needed to reinstall the OS. The hard drive bays worked perfectly yesterday on my old EX58-UD4P.

It also will recognise either hard drive when I boot in IDE mode. However windows says it's unable to partition them and it also refuses to boot.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
If you have a shorter one give it a shot. Or if you have a thicker one (with a heavier plastic shielding). 50cm is certainly no where near the SATA limit so it 'should' be fine, but clearly it's not. It's more likely that your Mother doesn't 'Like' the 'something' it sees at the other end i.e. the board between the cable and the Disk. There maybe some impedance tolerance that is being affected. Sometimes this odd combination of components just happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.