Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a computer case that has built in metal risers. With the motherboard installed on top of these risers it fits pefectly and matches up with the I/O cover. If I use the brass risers it lifts the motherboard to high to connect to the I/O cover. I tried installing an old motherboard that was working previously in the case and it no longer powers on. Green light comes on but no power. The power supply still will power up other motherboards that I have. I'm assuming I shorted the board. I have a new motherboard that I would like to install in this case but don't want to risk shorting this one. Has anyone built any computers with these type of metal risers built in to the computer case? Do I need some plastic stand offs or what? Please help.

Here is a link of a case with the metal risers I'm talking about:
http://www.geeks.com/largePic_All.asp?InvtId=KG-201-BLU&Pic=KG-201-BLU-box.jpg

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I have, and its usually is ok. You just have to make sure that none of the
little humps are shorting anything. What I did on one machine was take
little nylon/plastic washers and put a little dab/spec of glue on said washer
and attach to the risers, all of them. It took some time but it worked. I
may have been getting paranoid. Come to find out the board had this
solder blob problem, the case wasnt shorting the mobo , it was the
board itself,long story..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for you reply. I don't see why they don't add something to these metal risers to make it less risky.

One thing I noticed is that if I put brass risers in the far end row (the one furthest away from I/O port), It will line up with the I/O cover. I'm thinking that they lined it this way to lessen the chance of the motherboard shortening.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
yes but it must put a bend in the board,i used one case like this with no problem,try some fibre washers as suggested above

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.