Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought dfi lanparty ultra-d, and the fan cooling the nvidia chip is really loud (not graphics card, nvidia chip on mobo), like a high pitched buzzing, i could link it to a speed controller and slow it down, but is there a temp probe on it so i can monitor its temp,

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
welcome to tsf:

I would advise you to check to see if Thermaltake or Zalman make an after market cooling fan set-up for your Nvidia chipset ?????? try ebay or newegg.com ????? or google for it ??????

regards

joe

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks for your help but im still stuck,

i try google for 'Motherboard fan' and i get all cpu fans

so then i tryed 'Nvidia chip fan' but then i obviously get graphic card fans,

is there a particular name for the chip,

what does it actually do, ithought that it was to do with the hardrives, controling the sata connectors, or it controls the graphics

·
Registered
25,116 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
I had a look at the board on the DFI web site. It is just a generic 2 or 3 wire fan, i could not tell if it is 3 wire but suspect it is. Those fans are probably bushing fans and some will buzz if they are running dry.

It could also be that its just one of those little fans that are on steroids and will always be noisy and thats why linderman suggested passive cooling.

If your want another fan look here 40mm Fan just make sure it is the right size, and no guaranty that it isnt noisy aswell even though it's a ball bearing fan.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, i think that i'll try and do it with just a heatsink, but how will i know if it is overheating, i dont want to damage it!, if it is overheating what will happen? will the pc shutdown, or will it just fry? :cry:

oh, and to do with motherboard directions, is it basicly north is top of board, east is right of board etc?

thanks

·
Registered
906 Posts
In my opinion, replacing the fan is much less invasive than replacing the existing heatsink and applying new thermal paste. And because you can always easily put the old fan back on it probably won't void your warranty.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
any info on finding out if the chip overheating please, im thinking of slowing it down, and i would like to know what happenes if it does overheat.....

will it fry or just shutdown the computer?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
greengr said:
any info on finding out if the chip overheating please, im thinking of slowing it down, and i would like to know what happenes if it does overheat.....
this question was answered in the first reply...
oic-x said:
speedfan is how you find out how hot it is.

if that doesn't work, try everest home edition.

also,
greengr said:
will it fry or just shutdown the computer?
if your motherboard is set to panic at a certain temp, it may shutdown.

it also might just keep on cooking until it has a catastrophic failure.

certain breeds of P4 chips will "throttle" themselves down, to protect against burnup.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But its not the cpu fan that im trying to slow down, its the motherboard fan, cooling the nvidia chip, that is actually on the motherboard, its not a graphics card chip or anything, the temperature of this chip wont be on speedfan will it?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
the fan speeds, chip temps, and voltages will be shown in speedfan if your board supports them.

so more or less, if a sensor exists on any of these sections of your mainboard, speedfan will list them.

just for reference, on my machine, speedfan lists my cpu temp, agp temp, chipset temp, both hard disk temps, my 12v, my 5v, my core volt, my processor fan speed, my chipset fan speed, my power supply fan speed, and my chassis fan speed, which i have connected to my video card fan.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi, ive been on the nvidia website and the read the mobo manual but cant find the info about temp, when slowing the fan on the nvidia chip down, what temperature should i keep it below, i was thinking about below 55c, like with the cpu's.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
55 is a good temp for any chip. (although lower is always better)

you kinda want hard disks colder than that though, but for any chip, 45-55 is a fine temp.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If when removing the fan and redoing heatsink etc, if i was cause static electricity to this chip and damage it, how would i know, would all or only some parts of the motherboard not work?

·
Registered
906 Posts
greengr said:
If when removing the fan and redoing heatsink etc, if i was cause static electricity to this chip and damage it, how would i know, would all or only some parts of the motherboard not work?
Most likely if you damaged the chip the motherboard would not get through the initial post.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I really dont see the possibility of success trying to slow down the fan on your chipset / generally speaking if the mobo can control the fan speed just like a cpu fan or psu fan etc then the speed its currently running at is the speed it needs to be !! However the overclockers (they get much more heat than you !!) all sing praises of the third party )thermaltake, thermalright etc) heat sink and fan set-ups / for the money why not try one ??????

I like Barry's idea better myself (especailly if you have cold feet) / get a good quality 40 mm fan made by Thermaltake etc and try just a fan replacement first / what have ya got to lose $15.00 bucks ~~ its that or ear plugs ???????

regards

joe

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have a few old fans like that one in my junk box. They came from old DX2/66 chips and don't put out much air when sitting on top of a heatsink. Slowing one of these down would almost be like not having it at all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well the current heatsink doesn't look up to much, i wanted to get a copper one as i believe they conduct better, but i cant seem to find one that fits the motherboard, its got like to plastic clips that clip to motherboard, but all 40mm heatsinks ive seen, the attachments are wider apart, and dont line up with the holes on my motherboard.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.