heres the link and the info follows....
You encounter problems while installing Norton SystemWorks 2002, or a technician advised you to download and use the Norton SystemWorks cleanup utility to help solve problems with installing Norton SystemWorks 2002. You may see a message while installing Norton SystemWorks 2002 that a previous version was detected, even after uninstalling the previous version.
SymClean is a small program that is used to uninstall Norton SystemWorks (NSW). Older versions of NSW must be uninstalled before Norton SystemWorks 2002 can be installed.
Why use SymClean?
Normally, NSW is uninstalled through the Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel (this utility is named Add/Change in Windows XP). In some cases the Windows utility will not remove all of the files and registry entries for NSW. However, SymClean removes the files and registry entries that are necessary for NSW 2002 to install successfully.
Which versions of SymClean should you use?
SymClean is available as a .zip file and an .exe file. Use the .zip version if you have an unzipping utility, such as WinZip or Zip Magic. The .zip version of SymClean enables you to decide where the SymClean files are stored on your computer.
If you do not have a zip utility, then use the .exe version named Symcln.exe. This version does not require an unzipping utility and automatically copies the SymClean files in the \Windows\Temp folder.
How do you use SymClean?
If Norton AntiVirus is installed, whether as a stand-alone product or as a part of Norton System Works or Norton Internet Security, then disable Email Protection and Script Blocking. For more information, see the document that is appropriate for the version of Norton Antivirus that is currently installed:
How to enable or disable email scanning in Norton AntiVirus 2002
How to enable or disable email scanning in Norton AntiVirus 2001
How to enable or disable email scanning in Norton AntiVirus 2000
How to disable script blocking in Norton AntiVirus 2002.
Download the version of SymClean that you want to use:
To download SymClean.zip , click the SymClean.zip icon, below.
To download Symcln.exe, click the SYMCLN.EXE icon.
1. In the File Download dialog box, click "Save this file to disk," and then click OK.
2. Set Save In to Desktop, and then click Save. The file will download and be saved on your desktop.
For the .zip version:
1. Create a new folder on the desktop. Right-click anywhere on a blank area of the desktop, click New, and then click Folder. Name the folder Symclean.
2. Use any zip file utility to unzip SymClean.zip. Unzip the file to the Symclean folder on the desktop. Thirteen files will be unzipped from the SymClean.zip file.
3. Close all other programs.
4. Open the Symclean folder and double-click the SymClean.exe file to start the SymClean utility.
For the .exe version:
1. Close all other programs.
2. Simply double-click on the Symcln.exe icon to start the SymClean utility.
For either version, after clicking the SymClean.exe file, the Symantec Application Cleanup Utility dialog box appears.
1. Other than Close, you have two choices: Add/Remove and Continue.
a. Click Add/Remove if you have not used the Add/Remove Programs utility to uninstall an older version of NSW.
b. Click Continue if you have used the Add/Remove Programs utility to uninstall the previous version of NSW, but you still encounter a problem when trying to install NSW 2002. The following dialog box appears.
NOTE: You can choose to uninstall individual programs, but we recommend that you uninstall all of them before running the NSW 2002 installation.
2. Click Remove All to remove all items listed. A warning message will appear prompting for confirmation.
3. Click Yes to proceed, or click No to return to the main dialog box. After the clean-up tool is finished, you will see a message prompting you to restart the computer.
4. If you uninstalled Norton AntiVirus only, then follow the instructions in the document How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus using the Rnav.exe removal tool.
5. Restart the computer, and proceed with the installation of NSW 2002.
For additional information to prepare your computer before installing new software, see the document How to prepare your computer before installing Norton SystemWorks.
NOTE: If SymClean cannot remove all of the remnants of the NSW program, then Windows may have been upgraded while NSW or one of its component products was installed. In these cases, you may need to perform a manual uninstallation of NSW or the component products that are part of NSW. See the document How to uninstall Norton SystemWorks manually for NSW, or the following documents for the individual products that are part of NSW:
How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus
How to manually uninstall Norton Utilities 2001 for Windows 9x/Me
How to manually uninstall Norton Utilities 2001 for Windows NT/2000
How to manually uninstall Norton Utilities 2002 for Windows 9x/Me
How to manually uninstall Norton Utilities 2002 for Windows NT/2000/XP
How to manually uninstall Norton Utilities versions 4.0 and 4.5 for Windows 9x
How to uninstall Norton CleanSweep manually