Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Renault Megane II, 1.6l.

Lately, I've been having issues with the car, on occasions, it will struggle to idle and after a few seconds will cut out. Iginition still on, I can start the car again, but require heavy attention to the accelerator pedal, as to keep it from cutting out. It normaly idles around 900rpm, but needing to keep the revs at 2000rpm, when at a stop, to prevent cut out.

While driving, it doesn't feel as powerful either.

The strange thing is, this is not all the time. It's been fine for the past 2 weeks. Had the 150,000km service done. No issues. Renault were unabel to find any problems. Then it happened agin yesterday.

The other problem, and it seems directly related. Can guarentee, that if it gives me issues today, tomorrow the car battery will be completely flat, having drained overnight.

I've had an electrical engineer look at it, but doesn't seem to be shorting anywhere,

Any ideas? This has been on and off for the past 2months, and would really like to get this sorted out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Renault Megane II - Idle and Battery Issue

I have the very same problem with the same 2003 car. Just replaced the battery and same thing happened. This is most annoying as the car was only purchased recently with just 32k miles.

·
Moderator Automotive Center
2,755 Posts
Hi jack doherty

For the engine to running rough and keeping the gas pedal down to keep it running the problem appears to be that the engine is misfiring. The misfiring is attributed to a bad cam sensor, or coil wires. The sensor tells the coil(s) when to fire the spark when the piston is at TDC on the power stroke, if the sensor has excessive resistance it will prevent the coil(s) from firing at the proper time thus giving rough idle or loss of power. Have the cam sensor tested by using a DVOM, pull out any codes that the computer has registered and please post them.

Note: For the battery drain problem, check the charging system to see if it leaking, if it checks out ok have the radio tested because it can draw excessive current even with the ignition off.

post back your findings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.