Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am very curious as to which is better 2x512 mb ram (any respectable brand)
Or this ram that im using Corsair 2x256MB PC3700 XMS

I got this ram cause of the price that i got it for, however ive noticed that my computer is very slow at loading things, like for example when my sister closes The sims 2, it takes ages for the application to close and for the desktop to load. Recently, while using Windows Media Player it came up with an error message, something concerning memory.

I need ram that can support many applications being opened at once, and good performace in gaming.

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
greetings

you have to remember, your computer is only as fast as the slowest component.

the xms is probably what your after

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
You memory is only running at the speed of the memory bus. Not at the speed that it is rated at.

I.E.:
P4 3.0GHz 800MHz FSB = memory bus speed 400MHz
memory speed PC3200

P4 2.66GHz 533MHz FSB = memory bus speed 266MHz
memory speed PC2100

If you use faster memory, it will just downgrade to the speed of the memory bus. The only way to take advantage of the faster memory is to overclock your system.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ eRrand
You want to strive for a balanced system so no part is overspec(wasted potential) or underspec(bottleneck). Sounds like your current memory(nice stuff!) may be both :rolleyes: overspec(PC3700, but you are using it at PC3200) AND underspec(2X256 and you are getting memory error messages). Your system may open/close programs slowly for a number of reasons, so to blame the lack of memory for your slowness without knowing your entire system isn't fair. Lack of memory isn't always true, but could be true. It could be your CPU is slow or HDD needing defragging or poor pagefile management or ??? WinXP loves memory and the more the better.

I would recommend going with more memory, any name brand 2x512 PC3200 kit would do nicely(but possibly not useable with your current kit) or add another 2x256 XMS PC3700 kit! You might benefit from finetuning WinXP and your system as well. Try a google for your MotherBoard model number and see what others are doing to improve performance in the way of BIOS tweaks. Also google for 'winXP optimizations' to find something helpful. Half the fun of owning is tweaking! Good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
209 Posts
personally i think, the more ram the faster, the more "special" the ram, the more money you spend.
i myself would go with 1.5gb of cheap stuff over 1gb of expensive ram. even if it was dual channel, i use programs that stack up the ram, and the 2 things that matter are HD speed and amount of ram.
remember, hard drives are SLOW compared to ram cpu video card... so more ram uses them less, faster ram... doesnt help

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies, here are my pc stats:

AMD64 3500+ (clocked to 3800+)
Asus A8V K8T800Pro
The 2x256 ram
3 HDDs (adding to 360 gig :) )
Nvidia 6800GT
DVD burner

So are the majority of people saying that more ram is better?

@please
Im sure it's clocked at PC3200, how can i clock the ram up to 3700 and will it improve loading times significantly?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
The fastest pair of big $$$$$ 256 mb sticks aint gonna out perform a cas 3 set of matched dual channel 512's

joe

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ eRrand
Sounds like a nice system.
Bumping up your RAM to PC3700 will give you another 10-20% improvement in memory performance, but probably not a noticeable increase where your system demand large amounts of memory, like loading programs or multitasking. More memory will give you larger gains, or certainly lessen the sluggishness.

Here's a couple links to get you started in optimizing your system.
The House of Help, the Corsair forum where I did a search for 'A8V'.
http://www.overclock.net/overclock.php?file=articles/overclocking-guide.htm
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=320351
http://forums.ocfaq.com/showthread.php?t=1498

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
of course more ram is beneficial..
as long as you get ram to compliment the motherboards fullest potential.
it also should be on the boards qvl list.
imho

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@please
thanks for all those links, they provide alot of insight.

Im gonna sell this ram and buy 1 gig instead.

One more question, does motherboard influence the loadtimes of programs, how quick things load etc, or is it just a platform for all the parts?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
the motherboard is a series of pipelines to connect all the components.

because the components have to talk through the motherboard, they are limited to the speed at which the motherboard's pipelines run.

a better motherboard will have faster smoother pipelines, and it will feel faster.

a worse motherboard will have slow pipelines, and it will be prone to bottlenecking.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
anyway thanks for all the feedback, i went out and bought 2x512 Corsair PC3200
and the difference it made is impressive.

So in my experience more ram is the way to go (if anyone was wondering)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.