Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

i have a choice of getting more ram or getting a better type of ram, right now i'm thinking of getting 1gb of pc133 ram, or should i get 512mb's of pc3200 ram?

·
Registered
165 Posts
check first what kind of RAM your motherboard supports (which bus-speed, etc)

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've never seen a motherboard that had slots for both 168-pin PC133 DRAM and 184-pin PC3200 DDR RAM. What do you currently have in your motherboard, and how much RAM can your board support?

My old system was of a similar era as yours, and had two 168-pin DRAM slots. The board could only support a total of 512MB of RAM, though. It would not support DDR RAM, though, since the pin counts were different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mental_Myopia said:
I've never seen a motherboard that had slots for both 168-pin PC133 DRAM and 184-pin PC3200 DDR RAM. What do you currently have in your motherboard, and how much RAM can your board support?

My old system was of a similar era as yours, and had two 168-pin DRAM slots. The board could only support a total of 512MB of RAM, though. It would not support DDR RAM, though, since the pin counts were different.
In december i'm going to replace a lot of parts in my computer, like motherboard, graphics card, etc.

But i haven't made up my mind on the motherboard yet, so right now the pins for ram don't matter because if i make up my mind to get 184pin ram i could get a mobo that has that option, or if i want to get 168pin ram then i could get a mobo for that type of ram.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
heh

well, thats odd, i happen to have a machine here in my house that does in fact have both types of slots.

when i put that motherboard into that machine, i carried the old pc-133 sdram across, and then later i replaced it with the newer 3200 ddr ram.

if one chooses the right mainboard, it can support both.

but i would say that after seeing the difference it made that it is definately better to get the ddr ram

~BoB~

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
If the MB accepts both types, I'd much rather have 512mb of DDR than a gig of PC-133. You get at least twice the memory bandwidth with the DDR memory, and unless you're doing some heavy duty graphics or CAD, you won't notice any improvement with the extra 512mb of RAM.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
wow shawn, thats pretty much the board i was saying is here at my house, except that one you show is for the p4, and the one i have here is amd...

gigabyte rocks, i especially like the dual bios options on them.

~BoB~

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.