Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm having trouble with my Compaq laptop (1.2gig AMD; XP Home; all that fun stuff.) See, today, it decided not to start. I didn't do anything to it, it just wouldn't start. I hit the power button, the power light comes on, but it dosn't do anything. No red "COMPAQ" screen or anything. I tried using a boot disk on it, but it dosn't check the floppy drive. Any ideas?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did you start with just the battery or did you plug it in to an outlet? Also it might not be set up to read the A: (floppy) drive at boot up. You'd have to change the path. the battery could be failing, if you have another one try it. I had this problem on a laptop before, mother board died. But it still could be the battery.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Does it make any sounds (i.e., do the cooling fan and hard drive rev up)? If not, there might be something fried in there. There is something you can try though: Since some electronics don't turn on when exposed to moisture as a safety precaution, keep the laptop plugged for a while and see if it does anything.

Is this laptop still under warranty?

Also, if you have sensitive information on that laptop and need to access it, you might want to consider a 2.5''-3.5'' adaptor that will allow you to put the laptop harddrive into your desktop PC.

edit: I still have the same exact unresolved problem with my Toshiba 460CDT laptop, which was damaged by physical shock

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The laptop is under AC power, and still won't start. When I turn it on, the cooling fan comes on for a moment, then shuts back down. It checks the CD-ROM drive for a moment, and I tried using the restore CDs, but that didn't do anything.

I'm starting to agree that the motherboard is probably fried, and I'm assuming that there really isn't any way to repair a motherboard on a laptop. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.