Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
People,

I've always preferred to use Windows Explorer as my directory of choice, but it doesn't seem to work so hot in XP [I'm talking here about the main program . . . as opposed to Start Menu Explorer options (e.g., My Documents, My Computer, etc.)]

But those Start Menu Explorer options seem to be crash proof, as opposed to Windows Explorer itself, which is crash prone.

Below is a list of Application Errors, as taken from my Dr. Watson Log File:

Application exception occurred:
App: C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE (pid=1216)
When: 9/15/2003 @ 20:11:56.218
Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

App: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe (pid=2072)
When: 9/16/2003 @ 18:02:20.250
Exception number: 80000007

App: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe (pid=2368)
When: 9/18/2003 @ 22:33:28.984
Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

My questions are:

What's the difference between Windows Explorer itself; & the Start Menu Explorer options . . .

. . . why do the Start Menu Explorer options work better . . .

. . . & how do I keep Windows Explorer itself from crashing?

Thanks much,

mark4man

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
I did a little homework on these codes, and they all seem to be various and sundry software problems (incompatabilities, feuds, etc).

Since we don't know the circumstances surrounding these errors (eg, when did they start and was there any software changes near that time, are the failures associated with any particular thing that you are doing), so it's hard to go much further.

Can you give us a little more history and your observations of the problem?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jgvernonco,

Turned out to be this:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Error Message: Explorer.exe Has Generated Errors and Will Be Closed by Windows:

This article applies to…

This article was previously published under Q314867
For a Microsoft Windows 2002 version of this article, see 255758.

SYMPTOMS
After you upgrade to Windows XP from an earlier Windows operating system, you may receive the following error message when you first log on:

Explorer.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows

The Dr. Watson utility then runs and creates a log file.

When this error message occurs, either no desktop is displayed or the desktop is blank. If you press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to start Task Manager, you note that Explorer.exe is consuming close to 100 percent of the available resources.

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if the Norton CleanSweep program was installed.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Ol' Symantec!

Thanks for the effort. I guess it's always been Clean Sweep (the culprit.) It's only been happenung on my new machine, which runs XP . . . but it's been around since day 1.

You seem like a knowledgeable chap . . . I'm sure I'll be bustin' your brain at a future date.

Thanks again,

mark4man

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.