Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Note: I'm not very computer 'savvy' as you call it, but I know a few things.

Anyways, here is the story.

2 days ago I was trying to play a(n) MMORPG (Conquer Online). I had downloaded the game and installed it but upon trying to play, I received an errorL [SE: 49999]. I did not know what this meant, so I looked it up and several people on their forums had the solution to this problem with switching from 32-bit to 16-bit to run (Which I did) and updating the drivers, which I tried and failed to do. I didn't test the game after i switched to 16-bit and decided i'd do both changes before attempting to play again. This is what happened when I tried to update my driver(s): I went to Device Manager, right-clicked driver, went to Update Drivers... and when it went to start uploading, it seemed to work fine, it just took a really long time. I let the updating run overnight, and it was still going on when I left. I thought something was wrong so I tried to cancel it, no luck. the program froze and the rest of my computer froze. I held the shutdown button on my computer and waited until the shutting down screen appeared, I didn't want to mess with the computer at this point so I just let the screen stay there... and I fell asleep, when I woke up the computer was still on the same screen, trying to shutdown. (which it never did.) So I simply pulled the power plug on the computer and plugged it back in. Now here's what im stuck with; the computer loads the startup screen, and the OS loading screen, but then nothing else shows. So it displays for a minute and stops. (NOTE: The screen that it gets stuck on isn't all the way black colored, it is instead very dark blue, the same bg color of the loading screen. I tried all the F8 options with no results, except 2 things I can note, doing Safe Mode with Command Prompt the computer monitor froze on trying to load a something/Drivers/PSTD.sys
and the monitor seems to freeze on whichever screen it is left on at a certain point. I have tried many times today to get this problem solved, putting in the original XP CD to reinstall my OS, and opening up the computer to check the fans/hard drive/graphics and video card also with no results.

So in short:
Game error SE:4999
Driver(s) didnt update properly
Computer froze at shut down
Pulled Plug
Monitor wont display properly past startup
file(s) missing in system32 folder (Drivers) (PSTD.sys)
XP CD won't work, not much will work.
Using different computer to post (obviously)

I have Windows XP Home Edition
Compaq Presario SR1150NX
And I don't think the problem lies in video/graphics card, PSU, or cables, as my computer works fine until a point.
Not sure about anything else since I cant check...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I suppose you guys have no answer for my strange problem that's fine, but it would be more helpful if you would let me know...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Do you have another display attached to the graphics card, like a TV or something?
My graphics card defaults to only displaying on my plasma screen and only showing the boot on the monitor and then switching to the TV. Though this only happens the first time I install the video drivers after installing Windows.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What did you mean the XP CD won't work? It fails to boot into the setup option when it's in the drive when you boot?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.