Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on Windows and my GPU is an intel UHD630. Is there an option to change between them like in the nvidia control panel but on Windows? I should be seeing 1080p 144Hz on the list of available resolution but I only see them maxing out at 120Hz, so I suppose that's what's happening there. I am using HDMI 2.0 on both ends.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,669 Posts

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,227 Posts
GPU is an intel UHD630. Is there an option to change between them like in the nvidia control panel
Why would you expect to change Display Settings in an nVidia Control Panel when you have an Intel GPU? Do you mean the Intel control panel? You can change settings in the Intel panel.
Did you try a System Restore to a time before this happened?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why would you expect to change Display Settings in an nVidia Control Panel when you have an Intel GPU? Do you mean the Intel control panel? You can change settings in the Intel panel.
Did you try a System Restore to a time before this happened?
My friend told me about it, he has the same monitor but his card that controls the HDMI is an nvidia card. Thats how it looks to him. I want to do THIS but in intel, and I can not find it anywhere...

Don't have a restore point sadly :(
Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Software

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,227 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Super Moderator
5,755 Posts
According to MSI Optix G24C4 – Redefine eSports rules | eSports Gaming Monitor | MSI your monitor has (2) HDMI 1.4b ports. According to HDMI Specification 1.4b, HDMI 1.4b supports up to 120Hz at 1080p, but your monitor's specs page says it will do HDMI: 1920 x 1080 (Up to 144Hz). The problem here is that, while HDMI had the bandwidth to run 1080p @ 144Hz since v1.3, it's not a standard requirement for HDMI to support that mode, so your milage in practice will vary. Here's an interesting read https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/8wyg4e . How did you determine that the "HDMI port is hard connected to the iGPU"? Is this a laptop with HDMI only and no DP?

You may want to try a different high speed HDMI cable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
According to MSI Optix G24C4 – Redefine eSports rules | eSports Gaming Monitor | MSI your monitor has (2) HDMI 1.4b ports. According to HDMI Specification 1.4b, HDMI 1.4b supports up to 120Hz at 1080p, but your monitor's specs page says it will do HDMI: 1920 x 1080 (Up to 144Hz). The problem here is that, while HDMI had the bandwidth to run 1080p @ 144Hz since v1.3, it's not a standard requirement for HDMI to support that mode, so your milage in practice will vary. Here's an interesting read https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/8wyg4e . How did you determine that the "HDMI port is hard connected to the iGPU"? Is this a laptop with HDMI only and no DP?

You may want to try a different high speed HDMI cable.
It's true that it does 144Hz with 1080p (It worked for me for the past 2 months). I think the issue is with the software more than the hardware. I've heard that on Linux, 144Hz is easily achievable with my setup. But on Windows people get locked out at 120Hz, so I'm surprised the 144 even worked for me. If it was wired to the nvidia card I could have fixed my issue with the nvidia control panel in seconds... I don't even know how I would wire the HDMI to the nvidia GPU to be hones, it's very hidden. The laptop does not have a DP sadly.

I can try and buy another high speed hdmi cable but I don't know how that would fix it, the one I'm using right now is a 2.0b with 18Gbps. That is though, the only thing I haven't tried yet out of all the possible fixes

·
Super Moderator
5,755 Posts
Cables do go bad, even when they seem to "work" just fine. See if the Intel graphics control panel let's you set a custom resolution and refresh rate. Wiring the HDMI output to the dGPU isn't necessary because either graphics card automatically outputs to that port when they take over the graphics task at hand, unless your laptop's specs specifically states that the HDMI port is exclusively drivable by the iGPU. I haven't yet seen such a case on laptops with hybrid/switchable graphics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cables do go bad, even when they seem to "work" just fine. See if the Intel graphics control panel let's you set a custom resolution and refresh rate. Wiring the HDMI output to the dGPU isn't necessary because either graphics card automatically outputs to that port when they take over the graphics task at hand, unless your laptop's specs specifically states that the HDMI port is exclusively drivable by the iGPU. I haven't yet seen such a case on laptops with hybrid/switchable graphics.
Custom resolutions on Intel no longer let you specify the refresh rate. It's controlled by the CPU more than the iGPU I think, I haven't yet seen any msi GF series laptop with nvidia control panel controlled display so I don't think that's doable
Coming to think of it, I unplug and plug in the HDMI cable once every day due to my work and It could've easily just worn out in 2 months, I'll get a new one I guess. Thanks for helping.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The HDMI Handshake between the video display and the host device determines what resolutions are available in the host (your computer/grapics system). If the video display's HDMI handshake "tells" the host that 120 Hz is the maximum refresh rate, you will not see 144 Hz options on the computer no matter what you try on the computer. I would consider checking all available settings in the monitor to see if there is any possibility that the 120 Hz limit is coming from the HDMI handshake. If the other person you know is close enough, you could take your monitor to that computer and see if 144 is available as a setting. If 144Hz is NOT appearing on another computer capable of 144 Hz refresh rates, the issue is inside the monitor and not in the Intel Graphics subsystem. Another issue... sometimes if the video display has TWO HDMI ports, depending on whey you purchased it, one of the HDMI ports might be limited to HDMI 1.4 while the other HDMI port supports HDMI 2.0... similar deal on the graphics-subsystem. If the Intel Graphics supports dual HDMI outputs, check to see if one of them is HDMI 1.4 while the other is HDMI 2.0. HDMI 1.4 definitely does not support 144Hz.

·
Super Moderator
5,755 Posts
There is in fact a refresh rate setting on the monitor, and in its manual under the Appendix A-4 page, there is a table for Preset Display Modes that lists FHD @ 120Hz and 144Hz. It could be the monitor is currently using the FHD 120Hz preset mode.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts