Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two speakers on my monitor. I was wondering if I bought a 3.1 sound system, could I use my two monitor speakers and have, effectively, a 5.1 sound system? Or a 2.1 to a 4.1?

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
I don't think you will find a 3.1 sound system. You could have a 4.1 sound system if your sound card supports 5.1 output. You could plug the monitor speakers into the front speakers output and the rear speakers into the rear speakers output.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
OK, so different speakers have different cables. I got it. I have a Sound Blaster Xtreme Fidelity.

My manual has a picture of 2 speakers connected to a big boxy thing (I think its a subwoofer). A cord Labeled "Line Out 1" goes from the subwoofer to the soundcard. Thats for a 2.1 setup.

For a 4.1 setup the subwoofer has 2 cords going from subwoofer (and 4 speakers) to the soundcard. They are labled "Line OUt 1 (Front)" and "Line Out 2 (rear)".

So now my question is if I can use my green cord from my monitor as the front speakers and a 2.1 setup for the back.

Also do 2.1 subwoofers even have jacks for front and rear?

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Yes, just plug the speakers from the 2.1 setup into the rear speakers out, the monitor speakers into the front speakers out, and the subwoofer into the subwoofer out. Set it for 4.1 surround sound (use 5.1 if the option isn't available). The subwoofer is just one jack, and you will plug it into the subwoofer jack, or the center/subwoofer jack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.