Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had 2 sticks of 256ddr ram inside the computer and when i took a stick out and put the computer back together i got no signal on the monitor. i have tried putting both sticks of RAM in, one at a time, in different slots, and nothing. i even tried another processor and still got nothing. i also tried my own graphics card with the motherboard to check if it was the on board graphics.

any suggestions?

its not my computer but as far as i no it has built in graphics, specs of which i don't know, it had 2 256mb RAM in it and has a 1.7ghz CPU [was a 2ghz until i swapped it to test]

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
greetings
if you dont know the jumper to clear your cmos, pop the battery out for 20 minutes after you unplug the machine.
grab the metal case before entering the box to unstaticize yourself.
post back

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks for the help. tried pulling te cmos out and putting back in and still nothing. the machine powers up, fans turn, cd drive spins and hard drive spins but no signal, any other ideas?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
had 2 sticks of 256ddr ram inside the computer and when i took a stick out and put the computer back together i got no signal on the monitor
this is the key
you need to check all connections that might have come loose
put everything back the way it was
try resetting the cmos again, try a different battery even
good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey. i put back both ram sticks and replaced the cmos battery and still nothing. checked all connections and they all seem fine. any other ideas. thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
what pins would i need to check? everything i have to plug in goes in no problem. it has on board graphics, and i have also tried my own, working graphics card and still nothing. any other suggestions or help with the bent pins if these are the cause?
i haven't found bent pins i just mean what bent pins could cause my problems, that i could then look for.

·
Registered
70 Posts
bent pins on the processor maybe? remove the processor heatsink and carefuly take out the processor, make sure all the pins on it are intact and are facing directly down.

make sure the RAM sticks are in properly by ensuring that the small clicky bits at either side of the RAM memory bank are in properly after puting the RAM in.

And when you check the cmos, remove the power cord and the battery and press the power button a few times to completely drain the system of power. Leave it for a good 20 minutes then make sure you've put the battery in the correct way round.

And again make sure EVERYTHING is in place and plugged in properly and securely, double check to be extra sure.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
are all the fans turning,do you get the post beep,if you start with no ram are you receiving the beep code that it is missing

·
Registered
55 Posts
How about the pins in the monitor plugs.. I had some bent on an old monitor once and this screwed up the signal totally.. Only an idea though! Although changing the RAM should not have done anything to this, you never know... It could have moved the graphics card and if the plug wasnt secured tightly..... you never know!! :tongue:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dai said:
are all the fans turning,do you get the post beep,if you start with no ram are you receiving the beep code that it is missing
all the fans turn. tried without th ram chips in and received no post beeps. any ideas?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Have you made sure there is a power source connected to the hard drive? I spent an hour and half trying to fix my PC when it wouldnt boot only to realise I hadn't actually attacthed a power cable to the hard drive.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
if you don't have another power supply,see if you can borrow one to swap in to see if it is the problem

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.