Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am very grateful to have found you and I know that someone will have the answer to my problem. In brief, we bought a computer from U-bid and needed an OS. A co-worker loaned my husband his copy of Win XP Home( from Gateway) and he installed it without any problems. We bought a Samsung SyncMaster 753 DF monitor and find that we cannot change the settings so that we can run Real Player properly. It won't allow us to change the number of colors. Actually, it won't let us do anything at all. What can we do? Thanks, Susan

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Hi Sue. Welcome.

I don't know the answer to your question - others might - I haven't used XP much.

However, what you've done is in violation of the End User License Agreement (EULA) from M$. They've gotten pretty ... "uppity"... about it with XP. XP will look over a system and make a note of all the hardware in it and come up with a "unique" number to identify the system and then require the user to register it with m$ (to my knowledge).

Perhaps your problems are that M$ and the XP OS have realized that that serial number of XP has already been installed on another machine and this is what is causing your problems?

(btw, this whole reason is why "bid" PC's don't come with operating systems).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for your quick reply. It's possible that what you describe is what is causing the problem. But the monitor works in all other ways, just when it comes to settings, they seem locked in place. I know very little about licensing and software, but have heard lots of grumbling from folks and now I am beginning to understand why.

Susan

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Well, when you say change the monitor properties ... you're referring to the "Display Properties - Settings Tab" (this might be different in XP)? The screen inside the XP operating system where you can change the number of colors, the resolution, etc?

Not the pysical monitor itself - most of them have some buttons on the front that let you change settings on the monitor itself - irregardless of what it's connected to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I had fun playing with the little buttons on the front of the monitor.

What we want to do is increase the number of colors and the resolution. That's all. And yet, it must be major because the unit will not budge. This unit did not come with a manual, so we need to download it and so far, have only gotten gibberish when we tried. I should call Samsung. Will let you know if I find out anything helpful.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the settings inside of the XP OS? Right click on the desktop and select properties. When the "Display Properties" comes up, select the Settings tab. Then go down to the Colors drop down menu and try that.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
dont rely on your computer to much....If you dont activate it sooner then later it is going to lock you out...if you try to activate it your are going to get locked out because it was "loaned"... XP home is not released in coprate edition...it must be activate... for more information...

http://www.bsa.org

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;302878&

or

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/

not that I work for M$ but I see this as a bigger problem then getting a video card working...

as far as the video card goes...who makes it...you need the drivers for it...if you go to device manager under display adapter what does it say???

an answer to the activation problem...although not leagle either...get a copy of windows 98 from some one the go out and pay the $99 for the XP upgrade....then you can call M$ for techsupport....

Good luck sorry for the roundabout answer:bandit:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow. Ok, here's the update. I called Samsung and they were as nice as could be. Turns out that what we need to do is update the driver and then all will be well on that front. Already checked for the mfgr/driver info in 'my computer' and there isn't any. Getting into an area that my husband will know more about. As for legalities, we do have Win98 (new, not loaned) and can re-install that and then get the XP upgrade. It has taken me awhile to get used to XP, and I like it, but I can go back to Win98 and be happy.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
No if you have a leagel copy of 98 then... get XP...pro for the extra 100...seems to run better and offer future growth....I didnt want to scare you but insted warn you about XP activation and the perils of it....what ever you do GET THE upgrade....the $$ saved is worth the hassel and XP buries 98 in all areas...

Welcome and good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.