Tech Support banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all!

I recently bought ViewSonic's VG2455 24'' monitor to use as a second monitor to my Lenovo L340 Gaming 15'' laptop. All seems to be fine when I use it exclusively in the "Extend" mode (Windows 10 "Project" settings). However, once I switch to "Second Screen Only" mode, I notice that watching movies and playing video games becomes unbearable. I can't quite explain it, but there's a feeling that something is choppy. It's not lagging per se, but the animation of everything is less smooth than when I view it on my laptop or using the "Extend" mode.

What could be the issue and what should I do to fix it? My first assumptions were related to refresh rates and GPU settings. So I played around with the only available refresh rate options in Windows 10 display settings – 60 Hz, 59Hz, 50Hz. Nothing changed. The second monitor seems to use NVIDIA GPU by default rather than the built-in GPU that's default for less demanding apps, so I enabled VSync in global settings. Nothing changed. I've spent more than an hour Googling fixes and haven't figured it out, which is unusual.

EDIT: The lack of smoothness is not tied to a specific application – can notice it even while abusing Windows animations. Not a hardware issue either, CPU usage remains between 5-20% and RAM below 30-50% (GPU usage barely even registers). It doesn't happen in the "Extend" mode, which probably should be consuming even more resources.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems like it's not a refresh rate issue, but random, minor lag that really ruins the experience of the second monitor. It happens despite CPU/GPU/memory usage being low (as in, no way that the hardware isn't managing a simple 1080p display). It happens ONLY in "Second screen only" mode, where my laptop's screen is disabled and it switches to the monitor. It doesn't happen when I use "Extend", where the hardware has to run two screens simultaneously. But using 'Extend' mode is an annoyance when I don't need the second screen, especially in full screen apps like video games.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,295 Posts
Make sure drivers are up to date with the Nvidia card. The monitor refresh rate can also be changed at some monitors. This is different than the built in Windows capabilities.Gamers go way higher than 60 Hz

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everything seems up to date. The issue has taken a new turn: I've found that Netflix desktop app removes the odd stuttering when on "Second Screen Only" setting. But I came across the oddest expression of it all: while on "Second Screen Only", Microsoft Word becomes unbearably slow and the stutter is very visible when scrolling. Yet not when I play a fast-moving video game or watch Netflix. All issues disappear when I'm on "Extend" mode despite hardware having to run two screens. Is there any logic to this?

·
29,295 Posts
Extend mode allows two different resolutions.

·
29,295 Posts
I'm saying in Extend mode you can have different resolutions if it helps.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm saying in Extend mode you can have different resolutions if it helps.
If it was a hardware issue, wouldn't I be unable to stream Netflix or play video games (for example, Squad on high-ultra settings) properly using the same mode? Is there any logical explanation for why this happens with just some apps, especially something as non-demanding as Microsoft Word?

·
29,295 Posts
The ability of your Graphics Card has a lot to do with it. Either state the make/model so I can look, or if it doesn't have multiple input ports, then it can't do fully what you want.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The ability of your Graphics Card has a lot to do with it. Either state the make/model so I can look, or if it doesn't have multiple input ports, then it can't do fully what you want.
I know, but more demanding applications work just fine and "CPU usage remains between 5-20% and RAM below 30-50% (GPU usage barely even registers - [as in, it's below 2-4%])" during stuttering episodes. It's an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 with an i7-9750H 2.6GHz CPU.

·
29,295 Posts
In System Info, is your graphics card actually shown? If yes, was it recently added?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In System Info, is your graphics card actually shown? If yes, was it recently added?
Yes and no, it's a laptop. The second monitor is always running on the dedicated GPU (GTX 1650) according to Windows 10 "Display Settings" > "Advanced Display Settings". I've double-checked in both "Extend" and "Second Screen Only" modes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The problems are situational and exclusive to using a second monitor with a specific screen mode. If my 8 months old GPU was dying, it would probably not be running more demanding applications without a hitch (and, oddly enough, still using the same monitor and the same mode, which is the oddest part of the issue I'm facing – including the fact that Netflix was facing the same issues as I had with Microsoft Word until it suddenly fixed itself).

·
29,295 Posts
Which is why I said you could use different resolutions even if one is not the recommended one.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Which is why I said you could use different resolutions even if one is not the recommended one.
I'm not sure how that suggestion follows from the issue as I described it, including the extremely low GPU usage and other signs that indicate little to no load on my hardware (as in, there's no way the resolution can be the issue as it would imply the computer's inability to handle it). I'd like to fix the monitor at the resolution it's supposed to run as that's its purpose, it's not a fix to run a 24 inch monitor at 480p resolution...

·
29,295 Posts
I added your GPU and CPU and the sum said a minimum of 400W PSU, so that made me sure you weren't under-powered assuming the PSU isn't defective. If monitor drivers are up to date, maybe a roll-back is needed. Same with firmware. Since VSync didn't help, you can disable it. Try a different cable and make sure it's secure. View Sonic can handle USB 3.1-C, Type Connector. HDMI, USB- A also work. Best for dual monitors is DP cord. One thing on monitor menu is a separate choice for Office and Games.

Reactions: Ricoks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I added your GPU and CPU and the sum said a minimum of 400W PSU, so that made me sure you weren't under-powered assuming the PSU isn't defective. If monitor drivers are up to date, maybe a roll-back is needed. Same with firmware. Since VSync didn't help, you can disable it. Try a different cable and make sure it's secure. View Sonic can handle USB 3.1-C, Type Connector. HDMI, USB- A also work. Best for dual monitors is DP cord. One thing on monitor menu is a separate choice for Office and Games.
View attachment 330346
Thanks a lot for your help and being patient with me! :) Will try the suggestions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts