Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am an experienced tech so please get technical with me. I am in the process of upgrading my tech with replacing this machine but currently still need it functioning until I figure out my purchases. I will be replacing the laptop but also building my first creator/gaming desktop. I have built machines before.

My laptop specs:
(also attaching exported msinfo)

HP Pavilion DV7-32bUS (10 yrs old)
Intel Core i7 Running at 2.20 GHz
16GB RAM
2 physical drives
OS Disk = 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
Data Disk = 1TB HGST Travelstar 5K1000 HTS541010A9E680 (0J22413) 1TB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive
OS = Windows 10 Pro (completely up to date)
Generic PNP LG Monitor (really old but in excellent shape - working perfectly before cable cleanup)
External USB Keyboard - Roccat Skelter - uninstalled and reinstalled drivers and it's software
2x 10 port USB hubs
3 External USB drives:
Seagate 10TB, Seagate 8TB and Seagate 16TB Ironwolf NAS drive in a dock

I did a cable clean up today because my desk area with the multiple USB hubs and multiple external drives had gotten sloppy. I have done this before without problem. It is simply a matter of getting the cables and devices rearranged and plugged back in. Right after this I started having problems. Here's a list of my symptoms

Startup was not getting into Win, restarted several times
Unplugged USB hubs - still not getting into Windows
Unplugged monitor - finally got into Win
Plugged monitor back in - it is not getting signal
Keyboard malfunctioning, sometimes not typing and sometimes randomly repeating keys
I keep getting the Win new device detected sound repeatedly
Device Manager shows 2 PNP monitors and I only have one external monitor

Here's what I have already done troubleshooting:

Uninstalled & reinstalled drivers and devices through device manager
Checked display setting. For a very long time I have been running dual displays without any issues
CP shows 2 displays but I cannot access any of the settings for the second and when I use the "detect" button it gives a third display that it labels "Display Not Detected"
Tried disabling the PNP monitors one at a time and attempting to have them identified in the display CP but no difference, monitor still not getting signal
I do not have a different cable to try
Keyboard issue is driving me crazy as I am typing this. It keeps spontaneously repeating keys - Have already (as previously stated) uninstalled software and drivers and reinstalled.
I have run SFC and DISM
Monitor has only AGP or DVI ports and laptop only has AGP and HDMI
Monitor keeps going into power saving mode because it is not getting the signal from my laptop

I don't know what else to do and don't know what I could have done to cause this.

One question I have is could my MOBO be doing the slow crawl of death?

All suggestions appreciated.

Sincerely,

Wonder Woman
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Darkness

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,131 Posts
Keyboard issue is driving me crazy as I am typing this. It keeps spontaneously repeating keys
Use the On Screen Keyboard as a test. If that doesn't have the same behavior, then it's nor Windows but your external Keyboard. Swap out keyboard, insert it into different USB port.
As for the monitors, If you don't have another cable, go out and buy one or borrow a friends. Start with one monitor. Boot into the Bios, does it have signal there? If so, then it should work in Windows. Unplug that monitor, and then plug in the second monitor. Same thing. Then try them both. Go into the Monitors Menu on the monitor and make sure the correct output is being selected (ie) if DVI is the type of cable and connection, make sure it is selected in the monitor menu. Once Windows is up, turning the monitor off and back on will make it refresh and search for a connection type again or you can manually select it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Use the On Screen Keyboard as a test. If that doesn't have the same behavior, then it's nor Windows but your external Keyboard. Swap out keyboard, insert it into different USB port.
As for the monitors, If you don't have another cable, go out and buy one or borrow a friends. Start with one monitor. Boot into the Bios, does it have signal there? If so, then it should work in Windows. Unplug that monitor, and then plug in the second monitor. Same thing. Then try them both. Go into the Monitors Menu on the monitor and make sure the correct output is being selected (ie) if DVI is the type of cable and connection, make sure it is selected in the monitor menu. Once Windows is up, turning the monitor off and back on will make it refresh and search for a connection type again or you can manually select it.
hello,

This laptop is 10 years old it does not have a touchscreen. The monitor has a DVI port the laptop does not have a DVI port it has either AGP or HDMI and the monitor does not have an HDMI port. The keyboard built-in to the laptop works fine the external keyboard which I stated is a gaming keyboard is the one that is having problems. I use the external keyboard because it is easier for me to reach and more comfortable than having to reach all the way across my desk to type on my laptop which has a very flat keyboard. All of this was working perfectly before I cleaned up the cables and move them around and all it amounted to was making the cables neat by putting them together by type into zipper sleeves which they were already in I have the power cables velcro wrapped for neatness in one zipper sleeve so I don’t have a bunch of exposed separate wires showing and I have the USB with the Velcro wrap in its own zippered sleeve again so I don’t have a bunch of separate wire showing and looking messy. When I did the cleanup I unplugged everything figured out which cable was for which and then moved the two USB hubs to a slightly different side of where they were originally which was underneath the monitor platform I then plugged everything back in and that’s when everything started happening when I brought my laptop back over and plugged the two USB cables for the two USB hub’s which had the different devices plugged into each of them and then plug in the monitor and that’s when things went sideways.

I have just tried to do a system restore that I left running I am about to check it to see if it did anything to fix the situation I will update this again once it is done and once I know the results.

·
Global Moderator
43,131 Posts
he keyboard built-in to the laptop works fine the external keyboard which I stated is a gaming keyboard is the one that is having problems
As stated, the On Screen Keyboard has nothing to do with touchscreen. If your laptop keyboard works, then this isn't a Windows issue, your gaming keyboard has the issue, try a different USB keyboard.
As for the monitors, you haven't fully explained how the monitors are connected to the laptop? What connector, cable type, and any adapters? Any technical person should have extra cables, adapters and keyboards lying around to swap around for troubleshooting purposes.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello,

I did more troubleshooting a little while ago and figured out what is wrong. I believe that the (I made a mistake in referring to the connectors as AGP they should have been old school VGA) VGA port on my 10 yr old laptop has died. Laptop doesn't have separate card for graphics they are built in on the MOBO. I don't understand how something like that could fail; any general explanations?

Here's how I deduced that.

My cousin gave me a small (I mean really dinky small) basic monitor with all cables including an HDMI to VGA adapter. I tried using my own original connector going VGA to VGA with the test monitor and there was no image, I then tried HDMI/VGA and the HDMI end was plugging into the laptop and that worked. I cannot get any built in menus to show up on the monitor itself, the front buttons except for the on/off do nothing - I don't get any menus on the monitor. I used the same cable w/adaptor set up on the original (much bigger) monitor and it works......

I am believing my MOBO might be doing the slow crawl of death. I keep having my external USB drives randomly opening on my screen as though the laptop just detected them. I have picked out and ordered a new laptop that hopefully will arrive tomorrow. I just hope the USB cables are compatible. I didn't want to go all out spending until I truly know what I need. Can you please give me your opinion on my conclusions to double check me?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Wonder Woman

·
Global Moderator
43,131 Posts
What is the Make and Model# of your LG monitor?
Take your VGA to VGA cable to your monitor and plug it into to a different working computer with no adapters. If there is no signal to the small monitor then it is a bad VGA cable
As for Menu buttons on the LG Monitor go to Page # 9 in the LG manual to see how it works. Pressing the Input button scrolls through the various input signals, or you can press the Auto button and it will automatically scroll through the various inputs.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was able to get the monitor working and once the monitor was working I was able to get the monitor menus to function. Thank you for your help, you may now mark this resolved. FYI - I was able to locate the manual for the monitor online.

Sincerely,

Wonder Woman

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
31,447 Posts
We don't, you do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts