Tech Support Forum banner

monitor no signal

1026 Views 16 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  dai
i finished my first build in excitement only to get a "no signal " my monitor . no boot screen no nothing .everything powers up though.specs:monitor: asus vh242hmobo: gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3Lgpu: ATI Radeon hd 4870 512mb GDDR5MEMORYcpu: intel daul core processor pentium(R) processor E5200RAM: two 1GB PATRIOT PC2-6400 DDR2PSU: Lifetime Series Pro 550W Psu watsthe monitor is brand new so thats out of the picture. i believe it to be the gpu but im not sure. i have a vga adapter for my other tv, and upon connecting it via vga , it also got no connection. on the asus i tried both vga and dvi and still "no signal". its not the motherboard . i sent it back when i suspected it and the proprietor tested it and sent it right back to my. also sent my psu back and it was fine they claim. i dont wanna accept the gpu being the culprit seeing as its new. although it did spend a idle 3 months laying around in my hot attic out of the box. maybe that contributed? anyways thanx in advance for any help guys.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Have you tried the monitor on anothjer PC to be certain it's not faulty? New doesn't always insure it's good.
It's possible the Mobo is shorted to the case but I seriously have to suspect the low quality 500W Ultra PSU trying to power a GPU that requires a minimum 500W.
Best option for any build is to test on the bench before assembling in the case and that would be my best advice for your problem.

Remove everything from the case.
Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 or 8 pin power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.
See less See more
i dont have another pc to try it on. the pc wouldn't connect to my tv that is well working, so im still sure its the pc and not the monitor. i have the pc benched out so maybe no short. also the psu is 550 ULTRALifetime Series Pro 550W which has 30A on the +12v rail. i was informed that this was a sufficient wattage. not to mention this was a build by tigerdirect, so everything should be compatible.

did what you said, and it did what it normally does : everything powers up, but still no signal on monitor.

psu is not faulty im sure because i sent it back to the proprietor , they tested it and said it was good, as well as my motherboard. if the ram is faulty its usually only one stick right? i tried both individualy and the same thing happened on boot. this leaves the cpu and gpu. how do i discern if either are faulty?
actually on boot i have discovered that my mobo gives 1 long beep and 2 short beeps.(was kinda hard to discern over this jet turbine of a gpu ^^) my nobo manual translates this code as " monitor or gpu error". i know its not the monitor so should i buy another radeon hd 4870?
should i just upgrade the psu or both psu and gpu?
start with the psu you will hopefully find the gpu is ok
LOLi bought both but its ok. i got the 750 psu u recommended and the XFX HD487AZWFC Radeon HD 4870 1 GB DDR5 PCI-E 2.0. whats your take on this card? i hear it gets really hot and i dont have a case fan =(. also does the "1gb" on the card matter much? on my other card it was 512mb.
the extra ram on the card will make a difference iif you do anything video intensive

case fans are only a few dollars

you need one low down on the front drawing in cool air

one at the rear exhausting the hot air

this creates a cool flow across everything from front to rear
how do i discern whether or not a fan is compatible with my case? any suggestions on a good fan to purchase?
ok guys. it was the gpu . got my new one and it works ! .....but there is yet another problem . im instaling windows 7 from the disk. at the instaling windows part during " expanding windows files" , it gives me an error. " windows cannot install required files . the files may be corrupt or missing. Error code: 0x80070570 " . did i configure something wrong or what? thxs.
try installing with only 1 stick of ram in
tried both sticks of ram individualy and i get the same error. do i have to configure something on the bios?
hey im texting you from my pc ^^
is the disk a ms disk or a burnt one the error is usually caused by a bad burn

?

hey im texting you from my pc ^^
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.