Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, recently about a week or two ago my computer all of a sudden was running then it would just show a horizontal line that glowed really bright on the screen and nothing else. Sometimes I notice when my computer's running that it would flicker in a way on the screen then go away and it would do it a few times, this gave me the idea that my monitor would soon go out and dsiplay this thin line again. I checked on the pins and they all seem fine except for one pin that is missing, I posted on another forum and they said that a #9 pin missing would not be a problem only in some cases. I can't recall if this pin was always missing on the monitor cord, but I have hardly ever messed with my monitor with plugging it into my video card only alittle bit. I tried using another monitor but the other monitor I used I didn't get no display at all. I disconnected the cord from the video card only to find that when I was unscrewing it the screws that screw into the video card one of them came out of the video card, I screwed it back in place, I thought maybe this was the reason why my monitor has been having these problems, but when I installed my old video card I had the same effect. I'm thinking it might be my monitor but I'm unsure. My computer will run fine for alittle bit then the screen will go completely black except for a really bright thin horizontal line. Anybody have any clues why all of a sudden my computers doing this? I've noticed a few times after it shows the line I'll reset and the computer will boot up but it will show the line, only this time it shows like maybe a image in the line instead of one bright color. I've turned off my computer and only turned on my monitor and it shows a even thinner line this time though its not as bright as the previous one. Sometimes I've also noticed on 1024x768 resolution which I used to use 800x600, but on the 1024 that the image kinda comes in distorted in a way. Is there anyway I can set my monitor back to the default settings? Cuz sometimes now even 800x600 doesn't look the same as it used to. I know this is alot to write, I plan to build a new computer sometime in the future. My computers around 4 to 5 years old, just wasn't sure if my monitor was going bad or not. Thanks for any feedback :)

John

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Most deffinatly sounds like the monitor is on its way out. Have you tried a differant Monitor? If this Monitor is quite old it could have a lot of dust built up inside. You could get some canned air (most shops or office supply store will hve it) and give the monitor a good dusting may help. You will have to do this through the vent hole in the sides and top. Upening it is NOT recomended. :sayno:

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Yup, sounds like the tube is on the blink. The cost of repair is extreme so I'd begin looking at new displays now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure if I put it in my first post or not but I did hook another monitor up to it and the monitor wouldn't display anything at all I think this beep came from my tower that beeped like 3 times, then when I hooked up my monitor back up it did the beeping again and then it would display sometimes I believe, I read that you have to get monitors that your graphics card will support. The other monitor I hooked up I believe is older then mine, so maybe it couldn't handle it or something. I'm online at school right now I just read a post on a bulletin board of someone selling a CRT 15' monitor for like 29 bucks, which I mean any monitor like that would sound like a good deal, but I'm not totally familiar with monitors of those type. Aren't those like the flatscreen ones? Pretty sure they are. I'll see about that canned air that you were talking about, maybe that just might save my monitor. Thanks again:)

·
Registered
174 Posts
A CRT monitor is your standard monitor. 15 inch is pretty small by today's standards. I would go ahead and buy it anyway to see if it works. You can then use it until you save up for a new monitor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.