Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm running Win98 and I am having some pretty strange problems with my monitor.
The display is curved like an hourglass and wider than the monitor itself. I've tried reinstalling the drivers for the monitor and video card. When I reinstall the monitor driver the device status tells me there is a problem but windows cannot detect what the problem is.
All of the other buttons on the monitor work correctly except for the one that controls the horizontal size and side pincushion.
I have also tried removing the monitor from device manager and letting windows redetect it.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
are any of the connector pins bent ? is the connector going in all the way ? you said controls for horizontal size and pin cusion dont work...are they broken or what ? maybe thats the reason why your screen is out of shape...what happened when you had windows re-detect your monitor..what kind/brand of monitor you have ?

please post back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It sounds as if it might be a component fault with the monitor.

The way the display is produced is not too much different in many respects from a TV. Certainly the height and width circuits will be similar.

I spent alot of years repairing TVs for a living.

Equating the trouble to a TV, there are components that would cause this fault. A wide picture bowing in at the sides was a fault commonly encountered. Another variation was a narrow picture bowing in at the sides.

The fault is termed an 'east-west' fault.

It's difficult to be sure about this though. Another monitor would be a good thing to try. Could you get hold of one for test purposes?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Connection and connector pins seem OK. The monitor controls are not physically broken- they all function properly except for the horizontal and pin cusion ( the display changes, but it is still curved to the center).
Please excuse my ignorance, it must be annoying dealing with newbies. This is my first post to any forum, I've usually been able to solve problems just by browsing the forums and the net.
Going to get a test monitor tommorow and see if thats the problem or not. Thanx
Bud

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.