Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new to building computers - I built one and must have had beginners luck (and a good friend to flash bios) and had little to no problems. But now I'm in the process of rebuilding an old machine for my mother to use at home. It's an old gateway board, P2 450, SD 133pc RAM bus, and on board sound. It currently has a GeForce 2 64mb mx400 vid card in it. I only replaced the hard drive and cd-rom with a 40gb 7200 maxtor HD, 256 mb 133 sd ram, and a memorex 52x24x52 CDRW. I tried to boot and keep getting the dreaded orange light on the monitor - so i figured the vid card was bad (i'm using the monitor from my current computer - and the rebuilt computer was working fine for me last winter so i'm pretty sure it's not the board). I'm getting power to the HD and the CDRW. So thinking my vid card is bad, I try it with my GeForce 4, still nothing. VGA slot bad? I try it with an old school matrox PCI vid card. Still nothing. Power source (which is only 200W....)? I unplug power from HD and CDRW - still orange light...... is this a power source issue or something greater? Could my BIOS be bad? ugh... feeling computer illiterate...

help please? lol i give up :confused:

oh - and almost forgot - no onboard video

·
Citizen of the world
51,053 Posts
Remove all the hard disks, and all the cards except the video card of choice. If you have multiple memory modules, only use one to start. See if you can get this configuration working, swapping memory and/or video cards until you're either successful or you run out of spares. :) If you try several video cards, and several memory modules, and still can't get anywhere, you've pretty much narrowed it down to the MB or P/S. Next step it to swap out the P/S I would imagine...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.