Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is actually for a friend.

Her computer screen suddenly blacked out while she was using the computer. From what I heard from her, the cpu fan is still running & the computer screen had some "stuff" on it when she turned the monitor on & off. Attempts to restart the computer showed no changes & stuff. Can anyone help me thanks!

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
The first thing to try would be another monitor because this is easiest. If this don't help,,,,,,,,,,,

please describe exactly what happens when she starts the computer and describe what "stuff" she does see

Does the computer beep at all? If so please describe the beeps.

List the full system specs or the brand name and model number

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, she can't give me much details cause she doesn't relly know much about coms. From what I heard, there is no beep, but the computer fan is running.

The fan is running, no beep. The monitor is a Ben-Q, the cpu is a Maxston(I don't know if she got it right)

The "stuff" that she sees is the "No signal received".

I'm sorry I can't provide much info cause I didn't see whats going on . Thanks for your efforts!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Given the limited amount of info you have provided I would be suspecting the video cable. Have her power down the machine and unplug the monitor cable from the computer (don't forget the locking screws). Replug the monitor cable making sure it is plugged all the way in and tighten up the screws. Add power and test.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks guys for your quick responses. I will try & ask her to get that done ASAP & give you all a response soon. Btw, just asking is there any chance that it might be a graphics card error?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Very well could be but at this point its hard to tell.

Ask if the monitor was displaying strange colors before this happeed

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
As Doby said, it's quite possible. But with the limited info we have it's difficult to diagnose. Are you able to physically examine the unit and give us more info?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should be going down on wed. I asked her to get unplug & replug the video cable but it doesnt work. So I'm gonna try bringing my video cable there to test it out. if it doesn't work I will most likely send it to a repair shop then. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Very sensible. Feel free to run it by us if you can get some more detail.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had a similar problem a couple years ago with a sony crt monitor. i was doing some work on it when it just blacked out. there was a power light but it seamed as if the screen was dead, thinking i may just have been caused by overheating or something i tried to get it to work again later that week but still nothing.
then after about a year in storage i decided to take it out and try again before i rip it to bits...."WHAT the fool works"....for some reason it didn't work for a whole week of trying when it happened, but decided to work nearly a year later.

Crazy retard Monitors.

sorry for the lack of help, just reminded me of my situation

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haha ok thanks alot guys, i think this thread can be closed or something. The guys at the repair shop told me something to do with the motherboard or something. Still lots of thanks to everyone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.