Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently when I've been playing Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer I've been running into broken textures that make the game nigh on unplayable. The exact textures vary from game to game but the general symptoms are that objects show up pitch black with no specular or have a weird tie-dye sort of effect and flash rapidly. This also includes UI elements, which tend to show up as black squares. This can happen after an hour or on my first game. On top of this when I try to leave the match, the game will either freeze and force me to manually restart or it will crash to desktop and leave me with a ridiculously small resolution, forcing a restart to recover. I have also sporadically encountered this error in Single Player but at no where near the frequency it's been occurring in Multiplayer, although it does to appear to becoming more frequent.

System:
Acer TravelMate 7720G
Windows XP SP3
Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.20Ghz
4GB RAM
DirectX 9.0c
ATI Mobility Radeon 2600 HD w/ Catalyst 9.2

I've got more than enough hardware to run the game comfortably at above average settings and I did just that through Single Player and across a fair few Multiplayer matches before things started getting screwy.

When I first installed the game I was running some old Omega drivers but upon encountering this problem I tried updating to more recent Catalyst ones, I've been unable to get 9.11 working for some reason at the moment so I'm stuck on 9.2, but to be honest since the upgrade things seem to have gotten worse. I've tried clean installs of both MW2 and all my graphics drivers (using DriverCleaner) and neither did anything.

I'm pretty much out of ideas at this point so I'm counting on you guys.

Thanks in advance.

· Hardware Team , Games Team
4,666 Posts
Hi Rocky Raccoon and welcome to TSF,

Sounds like you could have an overheating problem. Download Everest from my Sig and check your temps while playing. For your card anything above 80c and it starts to throttle and graphics corruption can occur.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey mate, thanks for your help, I installed Everest and checked out the temps. Note all figures are an approximate and were fluctuating up and down by a degree or two.

While idle:
CPU: 59C
CPU#1 / Core#1: 58C
CPU#1 / Core#2: 59C
GMCH1: 54C
GPU Diode: 40C

While in-game (with texture problems):
CPU: 78C
CPU#1 / Core#1: 75C
CPU#1 / Core#2: 78C
GMCH1: 64C
GPU Diode: 50C

· Registered
10 Posts
well that explains everything. my old card once went upto 98C and there was like white patches all over the map in cod4 later found out my fan was not working lol

make sure all fans are working and blow out all dust carefully those temps are way too high...

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that's fun. And now that you mention it I don't think I've heard my internal fan for the last few days. I swear Acer makes computers out of tin foil and gum, this is the third hardware fault for this particular machine.

Any ideas on why MW2 seems to be affected so badly while other graphic intensive games like Batman: Arkham Asylum seem to be fine? Also why would Multiplayer be worse than Single Player?

Also about what temperatures should I be shooting for? For a temporary solution I've propped it up off the desk for a bit under an inch of clearance and I've got a desk fan blowing right on it and that seems to have dropped the temperature by almost 10C.

Also is there any way to actually test if my fan is faulty? Everest says my GPU fan is at 30%, but I haven't seen that figure change.

Thanks heaps for your help.

· Registered
16 Posts
I've been having the exact same problem, the textures playing up and upon quiting it freezes.
I have had this message appear, only twice though.
The ati2dvag display driver has stopped working normally.
And it said to restart to restore display properly, I know that I have more than enough hardware to run the game, all other games I have work just fine.
I checked the temps and this is what I got.

While idle:
Motherboard: 44C
CPU: 49C
CPU#1 / Core#1: 35C
CPU#1 / Core#2: 35C
GMCH1: Not sure what this is, doesn't have it on there.
GPU Diode(DispIO): 53C
GPU Diode(MemIO): 68C
GPU Diode(Shader): 59C

In Game:
Motherboard: 46C
CPU: 52C
CPU#1 / Core#1: 38C
CPU#1 / Core#2: 38C
GMCH1: Not sure what this is, doesn't have it on there.
GPU Diode(DispIO): 62C
GPU Diode(MemIO): 76C
GPU Diode(Shader): 67C

Fans:
CPU: 2608 RPM
GPU: 2786 RPM (60%)

I've re-installed the game and still the same problems, so I'm sure it's not a software issue, even lowering the texture settings didn't change much.
Thanks for any help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.