Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help,

I recently restored my computer and now nothing works right. My first issue is the modem wants to connect to the internet as soon as I turn on the computer. I have no clue how to make it stop.

Second issue, the modem will not save my password in the my login box, it puts something else in. No matter how many times I tell it the correct password, it continues to try to use this incorrect password. So now I just dont have the password saved at all and have to manually type it in, not a big deal but driving me nuts as to why.

Third issue, I have call waiting, I have made sure that I have the internet connection configured to not disable the call waiting, but I still do not get a message that I have an incoming call, do I wish to disconnect.

Prior to my system retore, issues 1 and 3 were not a problem, now I dont know what is causing them to do this.

Issue 2 has been an on going problem since I found several trojans on the computer. Also found that the computer was going online when no one was home, probably due to the trojans but, Norton Anti-Virus says my system is clean now.........

GOD help, this has been a headache for over 2 months now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Opps, forgot something

Also, I have tried to scan my computer using the Trend Micro PC Scan but after 20 minutes of Please wait for scan to begin, I have given up. I have tried to use that sites scan 5 different times now and all I get is up to 13% and the please wait for scan to begin message :( :cry:

·
Registered
5 Posts
trojans,worms and virus

Hello, sorry to hear you have so many problems going on at one time.

It is pretty difficult to remove alot of trojans, worms and or viruses.

At this point I would consider forgetting restore and just dump it and reformat and reload windows. There are many places on internet that do free scans ect and even tell you all that is wrong but they do nothing to remove anything unless you buy there product. Cnet.com has many free programs that can help protect you from most viruses and trojans. And as well you can look under computer security aol search and find some freeware that will help keep junk out of computer. There are even pretty good free virus scanners that even give updates and as well free personal firewalls that do well.

it seems to me that your multiple problems may stem from alot of registry infections which can be still a problem though you restore. I am no expert but when in doubt throw everything out and up load it all on a clean hard drive and go the limit with various programs that look for trojans, worms ect.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
mouselover said:
Help,

I recently restored my computer and now nothing works right. My first issue is the modem wants to connect to the internet as soon as I turn on the computer. I have no clue how to make it stop.
If you are on dial-up, then you can turn this off in your modem properties. Autodial is enabled by default on Windows XP, however, you never stated what operating system is running on the computer you are having trouble with.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316530

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I am running Windows XP. I use a dial up internet service. Thanks for all the info, going to check out the Ad Aware and Add on cleaner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.