Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason my modem stops sending information for 5-10 seconds. Sometimes it happens every few minutes and sometimes it doesn't happen all day. I've tried resolving this with Virgin Media over and over again and they repeatedly insist that there's no problem because the line test shows everything is fine. These are some of the problems it causes;

I play Warcraft, when my modem stops sending information I get disconnected from the server and have to log back in when the problem rectifies itself. This makes the game pretty much unplayable, and I'm paying monthly to play this.

Downloading files through Internet explorer or some other browser, the download fails when the modem stops sending information and it has to be started again from the beginning.

I get disconnected from anything like MSN.

During this period, websites obviously wont load. This one is less of an issue because I only have to wait a few second until it starts working again, it's the other issues above that are causing this to be extremely frustrating.

I know it's not a problem with the computer because it happens to both computers on the network at the same time. When I disconnect the router and connect my PC directly to the modem, the problems still occurs so it also can't be a networking problem. This simple fact should be enough to prove that the problem lies with my modem or somewhere down the line, but after months of calling/emails my ISP they still refuse to acknowledge the problem. It's even more frustrating because I actually work for them. I feel sorry for the rest of the customers that don't have access to the English tech support because it's 10 times worse trying to get any sense out of the Indian call centre.

Can anyone suggest what the problem could be? It's driving me insane!

Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you heard of a similar problem before? I've been trying to convince them for ages and they just aren't having it. Tomorrow I'm going to unplug the modem so they can't detect it and call them again and pretend the modem is broken. Hopefully they'll just send a new one.. if they say they need to send an engineer though I'll just open it and break it before he gets here.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,208 Posts
Well, when you connect directly to the modem with more than one computer and have the same symptoms, you're pretty much left with something from the modem to the ISP. This is Troubleshooting 101.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.