Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can Anyone give me help with my modem? It is a 56k us robotics sportster internal. I have gotten it to work before, but I formatted my drive and now it won't work. I click add new hardware, and it shows what it is, but it doesn't seem to recognize the fact that it is a modem. I use the installation CD, but that doesn't recognize it either! HELP!

·
Registered
126 Posts
OK, right click on My computer, go to Properties, look inside the Device manager & look at the modem tell me what you see?
Do you have any items with a question mark ?

OK now go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, and Modems. Tell me what you see?

S

·
0 Posts
Try This

If your not using com1 and com2 do the following in safe mode.
Remove the modem from device manager.
And while your there remove com1 and com2 also.
Shutdown.
Remove the modem.
Boot up.
Go into the bios and disabling com1 and com2.
Save and reboot.
Check device manager to make sure removed items are not there.
Shutdown
Install the modem.
Boot in normal mode up and install the driver when prompted.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks

Thanks for replying. I'll post the results here as soon as I get them, but that won't be until at least tuesday, cause my internet connection is at work, and my nonfunctioning modem is at home. As for Speedo's reply, how do I go into the bios and disable com1 and com2?

S

·
0 Posts
What kind of computer do you have? Is it a home built type or a brand name like HP or Compaq?

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Micron

My Computer is a micron pentium II computer that runs on Win98. I got it from my Aunt, and I can have more information about it Tues. If you want (maybe a system snapshot?)

S

·
0 Posts
You should be able to press "Delete" when prompted to enter the bios. Then just search thru the pages til you find COM1 and COM2 and disable them. That's only if your not using one of them for your mouse. If your mouse plug is round like the keyboard you can disable both of them. But if your mouse plug is rectangular and tapered on the sides then you should only disable COM2.

·
Registered
126 Posts
With all due respect to speedo I can’t see where he is going with all this changing of the settings. We have been told that all worked B4 the format now it doesn’t it’s almost certain that the drivers and the installation have not been done correctly. If this is the US robotics Win modem the driver will need to find and set-up it’s correct COMS port most lightly COM3 We need more info B4 we can really advise.

S

·
0 Posts
Win95 and Win98 are not like ME, 2K and XP! I have never had much success in getting a modem working unless I removed all but the video card. After which I would do the install and then add one card at a time starting with the modem and then the sound card.
The suggestions that I make on the forum are usually something that I've done myself with success. Any and all ideas may need to be tried to ensure success, after all this is a free forum for all to learn in.............:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
OK Speedo I am not challenging your method I am sure we will both end up in the same place. I was going to follow a different root. I will step back on this one and let you take the lead.

S

·
0 Posts
Hey SuperCub

If you have a solution to the issue put it in here. That way if one doesn't work there are alternatives...........:winkgrin:

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Whatever

I'm willing to try anything, and I'll try whatever you guys tell me (as long as it doesn't potentially screw up my computer!) If you need more info, please ask. Speedo, I still can't figure out how to get into the BIOS, is it the setup that you can run during the bootup? If it is, I can't get into it. SuperCub, I am almost postive that I installed the drivers for the modem. Several times in fact. The drivers are the same ones that I used B4

S

·
0 Posts
When you first turn on the computer keep an eye on the screen from the get go. Watch on the black screen with white writing on it for press delete to enter setup.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can't Do it

As far as I know, there are no prompts to enter that way by using delete. I'll try again today, but last time I tried it, there was no way to get into it. There is however, a screen that pops up that says "press ctrl-A to enter SCSI bios utility, but that never works when I press it

S

·
0 Posts
What model is this Micron computer of yours? Then we can go to their website and see what they have to offer in the way of information on your system unit.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
hmm, i have installed dozens of modems in 95 and 98, and i havent had any issues, unless i didnt have a driver for it.

not saying it cant happen though.

~BoB~

S

·
0 Posts
I can still remember it like it was yesterday. I was working in a small computer store building systems and the rule of thumb was load the OS first with only the video card installed. Then the modem was always the first card we would install. If you put the sound card in first it would more than likely create an issue with the modem. So we used that rule of thumb during the Win95, Win98 era. When ME came out things began to change and you could slap everything in there without any problems.

Although I still use this same method today when I do a clean install.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Clean Install?

Maybe I should do another install? Format the drive again and reinstall with no pheriphals but the video card, then start adding stuff? Another thing that may be causing problems. I added a second parallel port to my computer that uses the same kind of port as the modem. I don't know what you mean by model of computer. Also, as I said, I got it from my Aunt, so I don't really know that much about it. I'm assuming you are referring to something like Micron XKE or something, so I'll get that for you later today.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can't find the model of my computer. My aunt doesn't know either. All I know is that it is a micron computer. Maybe I'll just do the clean install, unless someone has a better idea:|

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I was fiddling around with my computer today, adding a slave hard drive that my Uncle:confused: gave me, and I decided to take out my second parallel port. As an unexpected side effect, my modem now works, so thanks for the advice. I hope to get help here in the future, expescially if my new hard drive doesn't work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.