Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, this problem has persisted for about a year or so ever since, I can remember getting the modem my ISP provided for us customers after having trashed the old one that worked so well for me. Now that we've had it for a long time I'm finally trying to ask someone else about all this.

I have a Visionet 220E Modem w/built in router, connected to a Linksys Wireless-B Router, connected to 2 DELL PCs 4700 and 4300 and everything works okay most the time. As far as connection goes. However, I can only get a maximum 15kbps on downloads such as, file downloads like .zip files, or MP3 Music Downloads. But, when I connect to webpages however I will go to test my DSL connection and it reads out as ADSL, which is what I have, but I'm still not getting 186kbps downloads. Also, my modem has these lights labled - POWER, ACT, Tx/Rx , SYNC, LAN, PPP. About every day the lights labeled SYNC, PPP, and Tx/Rx will go off for about 30 seconds and the modem will atempt to go through a "reboot" cycle is what I like to call it anyway, and during that time I will not get internet. This may not seem like such a bad thing, but when this happens periodically every three minutes (I'm not kidding) I can sometimes not get internet for long periods of time. I don't know how I can keep my modem from doing this. I don't know why it does this, but I can conclude it is either the ISP or it has something to do with my modems settings.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
First comment, are you sure your downloads are only 15 kbps? Or is the display 15 kB (KB)? Most file downloads are referenced in kilo Bytes (kB) (15 kilo Bytes per second) would actually be 120 kb (kilo bits per second) download speed, which may not be too far off your DSL speed?

B=Byte or 8 bits, b=bit.

Who is your DSL provider?
Where are you located?
What is your DSL speed that you are contracted or paying for?
What exactly is the make and model of the modem?

The Sync LED should be fairly stable. This should indicate you are connected to the DSLAM at the telephone central office. If you are having problems with the modem dropping in and out, you may need a firmware upgrade for your modem, you may have telephone line impairments, or you modem may be faulty.

I would start by contacting your local telephone company and ask if they can perform any remote line testing and diagnostics to determine if there is a problem with the phone line. Many times this can be done without a dispatch and at no cost to the end user.

JamesO

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Okay today I just did a download just to see exactly. My download was really good at first, it was at 35KB/sec (that's exactly what it said) and then within 10 seconds the download speed decreased to 16 KB/sec.

As for the modem disconnects, I can't find any information about the Visionet 220E for firmware. It might not be a common modem. It is an External Modem w/built in firewall, and the firewall might have something to do with it disconnecting. :4-dontkno But, I do know how I can access my modem and I turned off a firewall procedure called "Attack Protection" Because it said this procedure would activate and block incoming packets that were large. And when I'm playing games that use up alot of internet packets, the modem might have recognized this as an attack so I turned it off to see if my performance would increase. So far so good, but it's only been one day.

Who is your DSL provider? Fretel Communications http://www.fretel.net
Where are you located? Fremont County ID
What is your DSL speed that you are contracted or paying for? Bronze package I think it's 186kbps, or KB/sec I can't remember
What exactly is the make and model of the modem? Visionet 220E Modem

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
35 KB = 35 kilo Bytes per second = 280 kilo bits per second
16 KB = 16 kilo Bytes per second = 128 kilo bits per second

What you may be seeing is link saturation due to latency, a bottle neck somewhere beyond your location and/or errors in the DSL line.

Also note if you attempt to surf the net while a download is in progress, your download speed with drop.

Pinging your first hop will tell you if you have errors and/or latency due to link saturation.

Run a trace router to www.techsupportforum.com and then see what your first hop is outside your network and use this as a reference.

It does not appear this DSL service is provided by your local telephone company, is this correct?

Do you have line filters in the house on other telephone devices?

Here is the support site for your modem www.dqusa.com

Are you sure you have a VisionNet 220e modem and not a 202e? I did not see the 220 on the DQ support site.

Again, I would raise this issue with the DSL provider about the modem loosing sync so often, there may be some problem with the telephone line or equipment compatability. They should be able to see the fact the modem has lost sync many times if they have a decent Monitor and Control software and a Network Operations Center that manages the equipment and customers.

JamesO

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It does not appear this DSL service is provided by your local telephone company, is this correct? Yes.

Do you have line filters in the house on other telephone devices? Yes, all that I know of.

Are you sure you have a VisionNet 220e modem and not a 202e? I did not see the 220 on the DQ support site. No, sorry, it is a 202ER I'm sorry for the mistype.

Also note if you attempt to surf the net while a download is in progress, your download speed with drop. I know enough about "surfing the net while downloading" from experience :wink: and can safely say the internet was not diverged to any other program but the download. Every time I do a download the download speed will be considerably good such as 40KB/sec and then drop to as low as 8KB/sec,

1. How do I ping a "first hop" to see if I have link saturation?

2.How do I run a tracer router to this site to see where my first hop is outside my network?

3. What do you mean exactly by a "bottle neck" somewhere beyond my location?

4. I live in a small county where service is at a "low" and customers don't complain because I don't think they see that they're getting ripped, just because their internet works a majority of the time they need it, they don't get alot of complaint because they don't see the errors about my ISP that the minority of us do. And because of the fact that I live in a small place they're probably not up to the beat of the big DSL/Cable providers.

5. Thanks for the Information so far, it's helping, now if I can just find the problem :grin:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Modem losing SYNC constantly

Ever since I got my Visionet 202ER, it doesn't matter if I'm using internet or not, the SYNC LED light will go off and my computer will lose internet for about 30 seconds until the modem redetects my ADSL and then I get internet. The bad part about this is when I'm using webpages or playing games I get disconnected for losing my ADSL connection on a server every 2 minutes some days!! The modem disconnects about every 2 minutes on a bad day, and about once a day on a good day. I can never go a day without the SYNC light going off and the modem having to reconnect. What can I DO TO STOP THIS? It's driving me insane!! :cry:

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I see this is a repost of your original question.

Do you have any hum or other noise on your phone line?? Make a call from a wired phone in the house and have the person on the other end cover the mouth peice and listen carefully. Any hum or noise will impact your DSL performance.

Also contact your DSL provider and ask them to perform a remote RCL and see if they can query your modem signal levels. This should be a no dispatch, no charge, few keystroke kind of thing.

More than likely the problem is within your house if you have line noise.

JamesO

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, well, let's say I have line noise. I have problems with certain phones in our house that seem to have more problems hearing the other person on the line than the other phones. So, if I do happen to have line noise, what causes it? So that I can look it for in my house.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
I've merged your two threads. Please do NOT create multiple threads on the same problem, continue to post in the original.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Utility line frequency hum (50 0r 60 Hz) is usually due to some form of ground loop or line balance problem. Typically caused by improper connections, shorts or high resistance connections. Sometimes your local rodent or squirl is responsible!!

First start by unplugging every phone device in the house and then slowly add a device until things start to get noisy or have problems. This is usually an easy way to narrow down the problem device, phone jack or connection.

JamesO

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't happen to notice any fuzz from the other telephone devices specifically. But, there was once a phone in my back room by our porch that had previously been on the wall. The phone line (at least, that's what kind of line it looked like) had been cut off and the copper wires were kind of branching out (could've been a problem, maybe not). But I couldn't really just rip out my wall and take out the whole wire. So, I kind of just got some electrical tape and taped it off. I don't know if that will do anything or not. Probably not, but it's the least I could've done in the situation, I'm not about to rip my wall out and go unhook the line.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know if you guys can help with this, but I'll put it here anyway because it's also an occuring problem. So please don't get to mad at me for posting this in the wrong section. But even so, I should probably post this in the security/firewall section of this sight. Also, sorry for the double post, but it's kind of another problem that has something to do with my modem I'm thinking. Sometimes I will try to access the internet by my browser (microsoft IE) and my modem LED light Tx/Rx is supposed to blink when I request packets/bytes right? Sometimes the Tx/Rx light doesn't even blink or do anything when I click on IE to start up a webpage, and down in the left corner of my browser it just says something like Connecting to xxx.xxx.xxx then I get the "this page cannot be displayed" page. So, could my modem be blocking certain requests at times? I have to turn off and turn on my modem to get it to work correctly again so that it will send bytes again. Alot of the time when I request packets for things such as server lists for games, the modem doesn't send bytes. So, I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the firewall that my modem has which can be changed (thankfully). But, I don't exactly know what I'm doing when I go to change safety/firewall options. So I'm going to tell you exactly what the options are that my modem has so that maybe you guys can pinpoint something that might fix this.

On my modem (10.0.0.2) which has an Html config thingy, under security there are these three options : RIP, Firewall, IP Filter, and Block Protocols.

RIP and Block Protocols are currently disabled.

these are my modem's firewall configuration options

Firewall Global Configuration

Blacklist Status: disabled

Blacklist Period(min): 10

Attack Protection: Enabled

DOS Protection: Enabled

Max Half open TCP Conn.: 25

Max ICMP Conn.: 25

Max Single Host Conn.: 75

Log Destination: Trace

E-Mail ID of Admin 1:
E-Mail ID of Admin 2: